Flying Tiger A-7

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Texman, May 11, 2005.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

I am in need of some help. I am working on a Shark mouth version
    of Rob's A-7, and I wonder if anyone has a decal sheet for the England
    AFB, shark mouth A-7's. Please contact me if you do.

2. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Texman,

what about this

USS Midway around 1975

not England AFB but that shark mouth is so cool
  3. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks Nobi, but the mouth is the wrong shape for the Flying Tigers. Also, gotta have the eyes. Looking at maybe modifying the A-10 shark
    mouth to work on the A-7.

Thanks again,

4. 46rob

46rob Member

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Tex,

Lol, I too was considering a recolor of the sharks mouth on the A7. and I did get a photo but it is of a 10ft flying model a7, but I am including it, incase you wanna have a go at it.

Greg aka GW

edit: I am gonna "cut out" the jaws and eyes today, and I have a "perspective" function on my photo editing software that should allow me to bring it to more of a "side veiw", be looking for another post and I will place it here and/or email it to you.
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks for the help ya'll. Being a Flying Tiger for nearly 11 years (C-130 Flight Engineer and A-10 Crew Chief) I have a special spot for all things
    with the teeth. Using some resources you are helping with, might even
    go ahead and put the teeth on Nobi's 130, of course with the old "FT"
    tail code.

Thanks GW, can't wait.

7. 46rob

46rob Member

It appears that there are a lot of variations on the "shark's mouth" on the A7--Guess it just was a matter of the artistic flair of the individual who cut the stencils for each variation. I know that our squadron insignias, while I was in the navy, would evolve a bit over time as new stencils were made to replace the old worn out ones...usually from aluminum sheet, btw...or a new CO would want things "just a bit better"--not realizing the amount of work involved. Hope you find the ones that really make your model stand out.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

I agree, I think there are tons of variations on the sharks mouth design, and I think that the mouth most used on the A-10 warthog would look good on the A7. Something about the tusk that makes it really unique.
    A C-130 would look good in my opinion with a sharks mouth, although I have never seen one. But thinking about it, most any plane I have seen with the sharks mouth type nose art looked good, just something about a war plane or impliment of destruction with nose art that seemingly gives it a "bad attitude".
    I worked lastnight so I plan on working on the A7 abit later on today. I am still finishing up answering my emails.
    Anyway, have a good day folks,

edit: Oh I have some "varga girls" that would look great on any planes that anyone is building. They are just like the ones seen on wwII bombers nose art. Just add a caption and "paste it on the drawing" and you are set. I am including a pic of one I did for a friend a while back that I posted in another thread here.
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

Now while most airframes look great with the teeth, even I gotta
    admit, the C-130, not so much. Just looked odd.

10. rowiac

rowiac Member

That shark mouth looks a lot like one off an old P-40, so how about this one?