flying boat for beginners

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Tommie, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Tommie

Tommie New Member

I'm looking for a paper model of a flying boat that is relatively easy for a beginner to assemble. I would prefer something with instructions and/or lots of pictures from different angle, so I can get an idea of how to build it. I've been building models for about 6 months off and on as school allows, and I have a friend who'd like a flying boat for a RPG we're playing.

2. I don't know of one, but I share your interest. I thought before that a paper model of one of those huge concept ocean-liner type planes seen in many '30s ads and magazines would be interesting. There's a resin model or two out there, but I've not seen anything in paper.
  3. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Paper-replika has a Dornier that not too hard if you are patient. it's about a low medium difficulty, but easy assembly if you preform the curves.

1/75 scale Dornier Do-24K Aircraft

4. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

it's a seaplane, and not a flying boat, but this little Yokosuka K5Y “Willow“ from isnt too hard either.

Yokosuka K5Y

5. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

6. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Here is a Kawanishi H8K Flying boat from

Kawanishi H8K

7. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Here is a WWII PBY Catalina Flying Boat. Easy assembly

8. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

And a Short S.25 Sunderland Flying Boat, another easy assembly

9. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit challenging for a beginner although not impossible his Paperness Gary Pilsworth has several flying boats available at Be12 a Russian amphibian the Short Mayo composite of Mercury a small multi-engine floatplane which piggy backed on the beautiful Maia a converted Short Empire C Class flying boat. He also has a Boeing 314 Clipper, Spruce Goose and the incredibly sexy SARO Princess. has several amphibians including the Sikorsky S-40 first of the Flying Clippers and the mighty Mars flying boat fire bomber.
  10. Good thoughts. I forgot about Bob's great models. I've got to build his Sikorsky S-40 sometime. You should check that one out,too, Tommie.
  11. Gixergs

I've got the S-40 in a pile along with the Mars and others. I've built Gary's Boeing 314 which I found a bit of a challenge but well worth the effort and his Mayo composite which was stolen by the little old lady up the road!. She worked at Short Brothers and as a kid used the flying boats as see-saws!. Sadly she, like the flying boats, are gone now and my model went with her, bless you Bab's.
    My interest stems from the obvious fact that flying boats are one of the most gorgeous things ever and that these were taken just behind my house, sadly 40 odd years before I could see them.

Attached Files:

12. THE DC

THE DC Member

You may want to check out the Fiddlers Green site. Tey have 4-5 reasonably priced.

There's also a book written by a sub-chaser from WWI; The Spider Web by P.I.X. It has some interesting, eyes-on points to mull.

Inter-war kits are hard to find!

The DC
  13. SirGavvin

SirGavvin New Member

I think the OP is actually looking for a 'sailing' ship that sails the skies instead of the seas. That being the case, I have not seen a model like that.
  14. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Are you looking for a "Sailing" ship for the skies, or an Airplane that lands on the water with the Hull as the Float?
  15. Gixergs

There's a lot of gamers on this site perhaps the name of the RPG you want it for would help.
  16. kav1961

kav1961 New Member

Attached Files:

17. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Wow, this thread is loaded with some really nice models! :)
  18. THE DC

THE DC Member

Zealot members try to keep the great machine going...
    If made of paper, we are no so sad...
  19. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

I built the Macchi M.C.72 a couple of years ago (maybe 5), it wasn't Canon's, it was from this site: where they also have a Curtiss RC3-2. The Lotus Europa on that site is an excellent model (couldn't resist adding that). These models are very sturdy designs and I still have them this many ears later, though they are a it tattered as my son was much younger back then. The planes are in scale to each other and both types were in Myazaki's anime "Porco Rosso". Porco Rosso's Savoia S-21 flying boat is here, 5th model down, I also built this, it's a great model :