Flying Ares I model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Dyna-Soar, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

This was an upscale of the 1:288 scale Lhvcc Ares I. The fins are clear plastic. I plan to launch it soon.

Pad Interface test:

2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Very, Very nice. Love the idea of the clear fins.

Hopefully you can post a pic or two of your actual launch.
  3. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I hope so too ;). If all goes well, I plan to build the MLP and LUT to go with it.
  4. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

I've been thinking about doing exactly the same thing.

Please let us know how it flies.

Oh, absolutely, build the MLP and LUT. Believe me -- nothing looks as cool as watching your scale rocket launch from a matching scale pad!

5. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

The LUT is coming along nicely, the MLP is nearing completion.

Also, do I need to do any fire-proofing on the MLP?
  6. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Hi Dynosoar

Can you please tell me where you got the original rocket files? It's a new one to me.
    Incidentally - I have a new launch system using curtain track - much better for larger rockets as it is completely static. I'll post some pics of it as a side-issue regarding flying paper rocket models.

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That kinda depends on if you plan on reusing it ;) definitely give it a few coats of some kind of sealer and let it cure a few days. Maybe wrap a bit of foil around the bottom couple inches. Can we get some pics to see how things look? :D
  8. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

I didn't do anything to mine, and it was one of my biggest concerns, however, there wasn't so much as a scratch on my launcher. No exhaust residue -- nothing. At 1/96th, the opening for my Saturn V launcher is like 6 inches square, so there was plenty of room for the exhaust of the D12-3 to flow thru without impinging on the deck. My other concern was that the exhaust might somehow bounce back off the block of wood I used as a blast shield, but again, nothing at all on the bottom of the platform.

I also built and lauched a 2x version of my little LUT/Saturn V model that's at Jon Leslie's site, and the same thing occured. (The little Saturn V was powerd with a B4-4). Not a scratch on the LUT.

That's my experience. You're mileage may vary.

9. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

10. George B

George B Senior Member

Another LUT

Great to see another LUT build out there! It's going to look great lifting off that pad.:thumb:

11. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

12. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

How much longer 'till launch day?

You're giving me bad ideas, you know...

13. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I launched it last Sunday. However, the humidity was getting to it and the LUT kept tipping over. I had to perform a few repairs to keep it upright (The LUT is not permanently attached to the MLP). I finally gave up on it holding itself up and braced it with a stick of Balsa. I'll try to get some pictures next time. It performed quite well until 3/4 of the fins sheared off at high speed. It landed in one of my mom's shrubberies.
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

You got a few pics or a youtube vid of that flight?

John John
  15. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Wish I did, sorry. I may try to film it next time though.
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Maybe you should get in touch with NASA and let them know if it flew ok or not. They are changing the design every couple of weeks, seems like they can't get it right. Horrible design.

Your model looks good though.
  17. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

It flew like a dream until the fins came off. Maybe NASA could try putting some fins on it like they had planned earlier.
  18. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

19. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Well done, that was a classic piece of work and really looked cool... Cant believe that Nasa will be spacecraft-less for so long...messed up, but we will have new models to build till then

Well done again

John John