Fly Models AVRO Vulcan

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Rick Thomson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Jim,

I think that I will likely take your suggestion and scale the beast down a tad.

XL426 is the tail number, but I think that I will renumber it as the bird that did the Stanley raid. You figure that they will ever get the beast in the air again? It was aways an impressive sight.
  2. diamondback

diamondback Member

I think they'll do it, if they can get the $$$. (I hope so, I wanna ride shotgun in that beast someday!)
  3. smyfe

smyfe Member

I really hope that she will fly again, I saw her at one of her last flights at an airshow. It's amazing how quiet she is when the engines are turned away from you, but you know she is there when she passes:-o :-o She moves around the sky more like a fighter than a bomber. Now the only place I can see a Vulcan is at Cosford museum, where they have at last moved her inside along with the Victor and Valiant( does anyone know of models of these as I would eventually like to try to build all three V bombers:-D ,her indoors will have a fit!!!)
    Rick, if you build this beauty, PLEASE do a build thread, as I am a rank amateur and need all the help I can get:cry:
    I like the Vulcan at Cosford, the black undersides mak it look mean
    View attachment 10641
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I may do a build thread on the Vulcan, but don't expect anything on GB or Mindaugas's level. I'm the original Joe Thumbfingers.
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

I saw a Vulcan do a full power climb from low altitude back in the 1960s in NZ. The earth shook and it sure wasn't quiet - from memory I was standing pretty nearly directly behind/beneath the Vulcan as it climbed out.

6. smyfe

smyfe Member

Right behind a power climb out, I'm surprised you aren't permenately deaf!!!
    According to the RAF yearbook XH558 is due to make its first post restoration flight in May. The restorers are trying desperately to get her fully airwothy for the Falklands 25th anniversary flypast in London on the 17th of June:grin: :-D
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I saw XH558 at RAF Finningley (the very last show there), and yes it was loud. Put on a great show for the last ever Finningley air show.

I go to the RAF Waddington shows now, I hope to see her there this year.
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

XH-558 in Aeroplane Monthly

There is a great edition of Aeroplane magazine out now (April) that is a special 124 page Falklands Conflict Issue. It features an AWESOME section on the Vulcan with lots of great photos and nice drawings. XH-558 is also featured centrally. I bought the mag a few weeks ago in case I ever got around to designing one. After seeing the complexity of the Fly kit in this thread though, it seems a rather intimidating aircraft to do from scratch.
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

If you build it they will come...I'd really, really like to see the Clunk though... ;-)
  10. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

U mean the CF-100 ?
  11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Yep, not the prettiest bird ever seen, but it filled it's nitch very well.

I had the privilege of parking the old girl after what was her last flight over the pond to Europe, and might have been one of the last flights of the CF-100 ever.

It was interesting in that the weather was abominable in Germany at the time (Dec 81), we had not been able to even take the 104 out of the HAS's for a a week or so due to the iced up tarmac, and I don't think anyone in NATO had turned a wheel for that time either. Regardless, this 25+year old relic appeared over the airfield, beat us up for awhile then landed with no problem.

Gave us a reminder of what we were once capable of building, and the meaning of All Weather.

12. diamondback

diamondback Member

Re the Vulcan, since I'm a glutton for punishment in the machine-shop, a part of me has always wished I could get the diagrams to scratchbuild a 12"=1' flyaway version. (Maybe modify it with some kind of upper-wing secondary intake and main-intake door like the Fulcrum for amphib work?)

My apologies, I somehow got a number wrong. I knew it was either 558 or 588, and called the 50/50 wrong.
  13. Migk

Migk New Member

14. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Methinks you could do a "deadly" Ascension/Falklands forward deployment dio in 1:72/1:76 with this bird, using readily available Airfix or Preiser figures (modern NATO aircrew), a corner shelf, and a bit of artistic legwork.

If you wanted to have some real fun, you could do the "Vulcan at Port Stanley" lo-level thing...

You'll have to lose the "Blue Steel" missile and rejig the bomb bay doors, but what the Hey?

Whatever you do, do not cut up the original kit!!

15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Dunno about a diorama, I'm generally quite happy when whatever I'm building bears a vague resemblance to the original.

I'll not be cutting this one up, it's off to the nearest shop with an A3 Scanner and hopefully they will burn it on a CD so that I can rescale it. First it has to arrive though (impatiently drumming my fingers...)

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Well the Vulcan showed up yesterday. Did I say that it was intimidating?'s bloody scary.

Looking at the sheets I thought, "that's not A3". so I laid one of my A4 sheets on it (A4 is an A3 sheet folded in half) and flipped it over, turns out it is some oddball format, about 60mm longer. Off to the copy shop on Monday to see if they can handle it. I'll definitely be reducing this puppy to 1/50 or 1/72.
  17. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

You are right about the oversized pages. i have an a3 scanner and the pages are too big for it, Same thing with eth Flymodel C-130 Hercules

its a Mustek A3 flatbed very very cheap item here in europe and well suited to Cardmodelling. Your best option really is to cut it and arrange it on standard A3 pages.

Dont know how much your copy shop is charging you for the job (30ish A3 PAGES PLUS DISK BURN????)

but the scanner is available here

for $157...

well worth it

John John

BTW I dont work for Mustek, i just appreciate a good deal
  18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Fishcarver, I have a friend that worked on the falklands vulcan. He was part of the group that converted it to fire the anti-radar missile. Official secrets act, so enough said.
  19. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Thanks for the tip on the scanner, I might just think about it, (and give up on sex {well at least with the wife...}), but I'll still see what the copy shop wants just to burn a CD.

Having looked at your avatar, what happened on the 31st of Jan 07?

This century or last?

20. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

My avatar is a joke on Boston.

As a former NY'er Im not a big fan of Boston, ya know the Yankee's and Sox thing... A few months ago The Cartoon Network in the US put a few LED displays of that character in 10 different cities to advertise a show. The remained untouched in all the cities for nearly 2 weeks when someone in Boston panicked and the SWAT teams and Bomb Sqauds were called in to destroy the ones found in Boston....

The other 9 cities just kept laughing that it took Boston 2 weeks to realise they could be trouble.

John John