Fly Model F-111E help!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by n810, Apr 21, 2007.

1. n810

n810 Guest

So I bought the Fly Model F111E Aardvark from and after many hours of scanning and adjusting color and contrast so that I could build it, I think I discovered a serious flaw in my kit.

I seem to be missing an entire page of parts! If anybody happens to have the page with the ejection seats on it, I would be greatfull if you might scan it and send it to me. I would just return it to except I had to cut apart some pages in order to make it fit on my scanner.

I'm fairly certain that when Gomix was binding my kit, they managed to include a duplicate page of some bulkheads (which is good, because one of the pages was so washed out I couldn't get it to scan very well), but missed the page with the cockpit details.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Everyone on this board has been so helpfull, and it has made my modeling experiences much better.

2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Carl,

The F-111 is still doing sterling service for the RAAF after all these years. Dunno how they will keep the Indonesians honest when it is retired.

3. n810

n810 Guest

I will definitly do a post of the build. right now I am thinking of just scratch building the cockpit. I'll probably use the ejection seats from the Model Art F-15

I too love this bird, they have one in Denver at the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum. A couple weeks ago I got to climb in the cockpit. aside from the missing parts, the kit looks great, I'll start building the frame soon. The hinges for the wings seem a little daunting though.
  4. n810

n810 Guest

Ok, I got the parts! I hope to start a build thread on this in the next day or so. Thank you everybody who replied to my call for help so quickly! What a great community we have here!
  5. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I once had the living daylights scared out of me as one screamed overhead at low level. They must have been going from Plattsburg AFB to Niagara Falls, but I don't know why they were flying so far (about 4 miles or so) inland from Lake Ontario. Unfortunately, the only other time I got to see a 'Vark was one mounted on a plinth outside the base at Plattsburg, after the base had been closed down for over a year:mad:. Nice view of the B-47 on the ground next to it, though.

Anyway, back on topic, not sure I knew there was a paper kit, I'll be watching with interest, too.

Scott K.
  6. charliec

charliec Active Member

I see F-111s over Brisbane regularly - they are based at Amberley - west of Brisbane. The question of replacement is a really good one. The current thinking by the Oz govt. is that the JSF (F-35) will work as a replacement but lots of experts have doubts about that one. About the only roughly comparable modern plane would be one of the strike versions of the Sukhoi Su-3x series - I can see the Oz govt. buying Russian shortly after hell freezes over.

7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Yikes! You win:)

Scott K.
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Coming out of Plattsburg AFB would indicate FB-111A models. We had Plattsburg FB- models at Kincheloe AFB on temporary duty. And once again, I have a war story about them 8v)

The FB-111 was slightly longer and had a longer wingspan than the F-111.
  9. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

I thought that F-111 aircraft had an ejectable crew capsule in lieu of individual ejection seats. Am I mistaken?
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I seem to remember that too Jim................ All in all it was a good plane......... just not a jack of all trades/services like McNamara tried to make it.

Hard to belive that big of a plane flying nap of the earth, I bet it was something to see, And hear too!
  11. Texman

Texman Guest

As a former swing winger, yes, the -111 did have a crew capsule. The entire thing would separate from the aircraft, the chutes deployed, and then air bags were supposed to deploy prior to the capsule impact. Supposed to. Several pilots and yots (you over there) might discuss that point.

12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Ray!

I aso seem to remember that the darn thing was suppossed to float..........
  13. Texman

Texman Guest

Again, correct. The control stick also acted as a "bilge pump" type handle.