Fly Model 150, Hawker Typhoon - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by damraska, Mar 6, 2006.

1. damraska

damraska Member

Is Fly Model's recent Typhoon a modern model like GPM's Corsair or Halinski's Mustang (either one)? Or does it resemble something from 6 years ago? Has anyone built it?

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I can not comment on the Fly Model, but I can comment on John Griffin's Typhoon from Gremir Models. This is a very, VERY good model, well designed, and weathered. You can not go wrong with it. The only problem I can see is that you must have a Windows based PC in order to run the software that Gremir uses to view/print their models.

Here is a link to the site

and to John Griffin's Typhoon go here

The scale is 1/24 but I printed it at 1/48 and build it at this scale.

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi, I have both, the Fly model is very detailed, with a good amount of interior, wheel wells and good printing, it isn't weathered as the Gremir model is, It is a little less detailed than the GPM corsair kit. The Gremir is everything John said, with the ability to print out parts to cover the inevitable mistakes.
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Ted, That's why I like downloadable models............ I always booger up a piece and need to re-print. Much better than trying to buy another book, or scanner...... if you don't have one.

John really did a great job on the weathering, I put this model in the library display I had going on and everybody thought I had slipped a plastic, airbrushed model into the display! :grin:

5. Mindaugas

Mindaugas Member

I haven't tried other Typhoons except from Fly and from MM. MM is not so good when compared with Fly. Fly's Typhoon is really worth of your attention. Just buy it and you won't regret!

Superb model!

Thats all. Good luck! ;)

:twisted: :twisted:
  6. damraska

damraska Member

Thanks for all the help. I was not aware GreMir had a Typhoon. Now I'm not sure which one to get.

7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Doug,

Gremir's model is a Tempest actually, but well worthy of the praise it has been given here. I can recommend it.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks Rick, you are correct!

My mistake, but in my defense there are not too many differences in this version of the Tempest and the later versions of the Typhoon. Wings and fuselage length are the two main ones I remember. John Griffins TEMPEST is available at Gremir's. And I still recommend it HIGHLY!

9. damraska

damraska Member

Hi Rick,

Thank you for that correction. I was obviously suffering from "Typhoon" fixation. The GreMir Model's website clearly shows and describes a very nice Tempest. Unfortunately, I still cannot decide between the two models. Maybe I'll buy and build both. I need some British planes to balance my seriously lopsided collection. Come to think of it, I don't have a Spitfire, either. Or a Hurricane.

10. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Nah....I love your collection of Bf-109s. The Nazi cause was of course horrible, but Germany did make some great planes and cars.....recently bought an '82 Mercedes-Benz......and hey I'm German myself. I can't wait to see you build the new Halinski Bf-109F
  11. damraska

damraska Member

Hi Dustin,

Thank you. My mother was born in Germany near the end of WWII and still hates thunderstorms because they remind her of the allied bombing raids. My father's family is Polish and emigrated to the US after WWI. I had relatives fighting and dying on both sides. My father, who loved WWII German aircraft, was the one who started me on modeling. Unfortunately, he died before I built my first card model. About 10 years ago I scratch built a bunch of paper starships for playing Star Fleet Battles. He loved them, but they are nothing compared to the models I build now.

Anyway, I find German aircraft particularly interesting because they tried so many designs and paint schemes. But I still prefer a Mustang to a Bf 109 or Fw 190.

I am a bit behind on the Bf/Me 109s. I just ordered the Orlik Me 109G-2. I have the Modele Kartonowego Fana Me 109W (also offered by GreMir Models in electronic format) and intend to start it soon. I do not yet have the Answer Bf 109K-4 or the Halinski Bf 109F-4 Trop, but will build them when I get them. Once I put the tailwheel on my Quest Bf 109, I will have one more.

I actually started building all those Bf 109s because they're relatively easy. Later, I used them as benchmarks to compare the different model companies. Now, I build them because a dozen Bf/Me 109s will look really cool on a shelf.

Now wandering back on topic...Though I like all those German planes, I really want one of each major type in US, British, and German service. When I retire, I'd love to open a card model museum and charge people a buck to see all my models behind glass. If I could enlist other people to add to the museum, so much the better. And so, I need a Typhoon. Or a Tempest. Or both. And a Spitfire. And a Hurricane. And so on...

12. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Awe, thanks for the compliment Mum! ...I mean John. Actually though, it's a Hawker Tempest V (remember building those problematic, annoying elliptical wings?!), not a Tiffy (although it was originally intended by Hawker to be a Typhoon II)... thanks for the encouragement... I am nearly done with the radial engined version (the Tempest II).

John G.

13. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Not sure if I am typingthis in the right place... thanks for saying nice things about my Tempest.
    MkII nearly ready... haven't been modeling alot lately as I have a problem with dizziness lately... and moving stuff about on screen makes me a bit seasick. Then I need to get that big P-47 done too.

John G.
  14. Tad

Tad Member

about Typhoon from Gomix (formerly Fly Model) - it is as much detailed as Corsair from GPM, compairing to planes from A. Halinski - only the last BF-109 and maybe Dauntless (I'm talking about single engined planes from AH) can be compared with it's detalism (flaps and much more - not saying about internal canopy which interests me less).

This kit recemble the old one excellent Typhoon from Maly Modelarz (please see my report from building here) but is quite different.

Please see my description of this kit here (polish language) and report from building you can find here.

Enjoy the photo of this nice plane (not my model - comes from one of the polish competitions):

15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

WOW!................... again WOW!:grin:

I wish we had stuff like that around here!

Thanks Tad, I know it's not yours............. but I really appreciate sharing.