flustration with this forum

railnut

Have been a long time follower of this forum, I think that is the best one that has been around but lately have had nothing but problems. When it was in the old procedure I would get on to the site very easily, most times i would still be logged on from previously before and spend an hour or two thoughly enjoying myself learning lots about this great hobby,and corresponding with good friends.
Since the change I have managed to get the site brought up onto my computer, when i tried to log in, i was unable to, kept telling me that my name used and/or password was invalid, tried everything but no success. So sent for new password, got one, and that did not work, sent a message advising my delema. Was suggested new name and password, tried, but would not let me with using my e-mail address as I was already on and would not let another on.. Had to get another e mail address and start over, finally got that through and able to log onand this is what i am using. Log on and log on and log on, it seems every time i go to view an article someone wrote or a picture that they posted i have to continually log on, again and again and again. Why ????? I log on when i enter the site but to no avail, every time i go to view something I again have to log on, and when I do it takes me back to "cllick here for the forum index page", and start again.???
I was logged on upon entering the site this morning, I wanted to look at Interurbans articles on the traction site, get there and wanted to look at the five links that he had posted, clicked on it and it told me i was not logged on, so logged on again, it then took me back to "click here for the forum index page", had to go to the traction site again and found the five postings and tried again, again not logged on and when i did back to the begining again, have not got to the articles yet.
I do not know if anyone else is having these problems but it is getting very flustrating. This is a great site with great people and I do not want to give it up or have this site loose anyone because of this flustration.
Any suggestions?? Ron..

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Also, any old links you may have before the forum upgrade will no longer work. This is because the forum has a new address so when you click an old link that is no longer valid, it defaults back to the index.

Quite a few members still have outdated links in their signatures, so don't count on those either.

Russ Bellinis

I always leave myself logged in at the Gauge. When I first came to the new site, the home page for the Zealot would not let me log in with my old user name and pass word. I used "the Gauge" icon to get to the train page, and found that I was still logged in. It appears that the rest of the Zealot won't let me in, but the Gauge remembers me. Since I don't browse any of the other sections anyway, it is no problem. I first set my favorites bookmark to the Zealot home page, but have since deleted that bookmark and marked the train section in my "favorites" section, so now when I come to the Gauge, it opens directly to the train section.

ezdays

Out AZ way
I always leave myself logged in at the Gauge. When I first came to the new site, the home page for the Zealot would not let me log in with my old user name and pass word. I used "the Gauge" icon to get to the train page, and found that I was still logged in. It appears that the rest of the Zealot won't let me in, but the Gauge remembers me. Since I don't browse any of the other sections anyway, it is no problem. I first set my favorites bookmark to the Zealot home page, but have since deleted that bookmark and marked the train section in my "favorites" section, so now when I come to the Gauge, it opens directly to the train section.
That's a good way to do it, that's how I personally had things set up in the old Gauge as well. You can also bookmark the "new posts" link, and when you come here you can first view all the new posts. Or you can even go to "Quick Links" and bookmark "today's posts" and you can then link to everything that went on in the past 24 hours.

Anything you can click on here can be set up as a bookmark.

Mountain Man

And if you want to be logged on when you come to the site, click on the "Remember Me" box.

Wayne

That suggestion does not work. I have to log-on constantly as well, and it has absolutely nothing to do with cookies. Like railnut, I have had endless problems since the change-over to the "new and improved" site.

Also like railnut, I stopped trying to view images on this forum due to the total frustration of what should be a simple click-and-view.

ezdays

Out AZ way
That suggestion does not work. I have to log-on constantly as well, and it has absolutely nothing to do with cookies. Like railnut, I have had endless problems since the change-over to the "new and improved" site.

Also like railnut, I stopped trying to view images on this forum due to the total frustration of what should be a simple click-and-view.
Log-in problems seem to be unique and not widespread. Most people can remained logged in, but there are problems now and then as well. I was greeted with a message a few days ago that my password had expired after some 12,000 days... Huh, that's 31 years ago.... I re-established my password and haven't had a problem since. I don't know about these other problems, but I sure hope Peter finds out what's going on there.

As far as images go, Everyone should be aware by now that we are working on the image problems. All I can ask is for everyone to have a bit more patience and give Peter a chance to get the Gallery and other things in order. He made us aware from the get-go that this would be a problem and will take a lot of work to resolve. Let's hope he solves it soon, but in the meantime, hang in there, please....

I think we're lucky that he has been able to preserve what he has. I can remember one major forum a few years ago made some changes and they lost everything. All their posts and pictures were gone and everyone had to re-register. Peter has worked exceptionally hard to keep what we have, and is still working to get back some of the things we lost in the transition.

Mountain Man

Log-in problems seem to be unique and not widespread. Most people can remained logged in, but there are problems now and then as well. I was greeted with a message a few days ago that my password had expired after some 12,000 days... Huh, that's 31 years ago.... I re-established my password and haven't had a problem since. I don't know about these other problems, but I sure hope Peter finds out what's going on there.

I have to log on every single time I visit this forum, even if I have only gone away for a few minutes, and it often requires mutiple attempts and lost connections before I finally succeed.

And don't get me started on trying to view any images or follow any links...particularly since this forum relies heavily on posted images. :(

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I'm not sure why some members are having log on and connection problems. Not to discount your frustrations Ron and Mountain Man but they don't seem to be widespread as Don has said. I hope they get resolved soon for you.
Ralph

zedob

I was having problems being remembered by the site and getting to see pics and follow links, but I haven't had any problems lately. I followed the suggestion of deleting the Guage cookies, well, actually all of them and I haven't had any problems since.

Try the cookie thing before coming to the conclusion that the site is picking on you.:-D

Gary S.

I am happy to report that I am having ZERO problems on The Gauge. :) Auto log-in is perfect, I have figured out the navigation, and things are just dandy. Well, except for the fact that several outstanding members apparently have decided to leave.:|

Gil Finn

You have no complaint
You are what your are and you ain't what you ain't
So listen up Buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood

It works OK for me and John Prine:)

caellis

I use the TREADED MODE to display posts and prefer this over the typical LINEAR method utilized by other forums.