Fluesheet's first chalk weathering attempts

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Fluesheet, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

In his sticky, ezdays makes a comment about the "many fine modelers" on the gauge. While I'd like to think of myself in those terms, when it comes to weathering, I'm still an apprentice.

I've seen some good discussion on using chalks or powders for weathering and thought I'd give it a try using some AIM powders I found at the LHS. My initial application attempts were using a facial sponge per the instructions. The Western Maryland car was initially done this way (second picture), but the color came out far too homogeneous. I was able to make it look a little better first by running some water run down the side (hoping that some powder would get picked up and deposited in the corners). That helped, but ultimately I had to wipe powder back off (towards the top). It needs more work, but I learned something from the exercise. The second side worked out a little better - I used less chalk of a different color. This is the first hopper picture, only the right side was done.

The refrigerator car was a little easier - I think because the surface wasn't as smooth. I also switched to a soft paint brush to apply the powder, making it a little easier to control where the powder went. One side I made filthy, the second side a little less so.

Let me know what you think / any advice / feedback. Now that I have these powders, I'll have to revisit all the fine discussion that interested me in this product in the first place!

Attached Files:

2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Fluesheet:wav: , i think you done a nice job on both cars:winki: . they are certainly not overdone:thumb: , the last pic of the covered hopper is my favorite:mrgreen: .

one thing you might want to think about, lets take the covered hopper for example, in the last pic of it, see how weathered it is, now look at the roof, the cars roof would look at least as weathered, if not more then the sides are:winki: . the roof of the car gets a lot of beating from the sun, rain, and dirt, even more so then the sides:winki: , if you made the roof of that car about the same, or perhaps just a little more weathered then the sides, i think it would make the car go from good looking to GREAT looking:thumb: ....just a thought:smilie: . all in all, GOOD WORK!:thumb:
    :deano: -Deano
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Overall, nice job. They are not overdone IMHO and I think they look really good.

I'm a chalk weathering kinda guy too in Nscale (I haven't broken the code on weathering Nscale with paint or dry brush yet and hiding the brush marks). I second Deano's remarks as well. I also try to experiment with various colors to lighten the car roof overall (as the sun would) - sometimes yellows work/look better than whites to give you that "been in the sun for years" look. I've found the right color to try depends on the base color of the car. Boxcar reds and browns sometimes look more weathered realistic when I use yellows and greys rather than whites. I also try to add some clay color under the car since I live in an area with heavy clay concentration in the soil. Try to add chalk that is the same color as the lettering to give the impression that rain over time has made the car lettering paint run down the sides (really easy to do with white lettering/chalk). I also try to add a rusty color everywhere someone would step or hold, trying to mimic constant wear and tear. Try some rusty color on hinges, access panels, basically anywhere someone would open/close a hinged door and remember to add rust color to the door tracks (if it rolls along the car) or where a door would hit the car when opened up all the way. I also add dirt/grime/rust to the wheel trucks, couplers, fuel tanks on diesels - pretty much everything below the catwalk/walkway of a modern diesel. I'm no expert by any means and not much of an artist...but here's a few pics attached that try to show what I mean. The pictures show identical cars - one weathered, one clean and a diesel with weathered trucks, fuel tank and couplers. I don't weather the engines as much as I could - basically because I like a clean looking diesel...and some of the cars are weathered to show age and a sun-baked look, and some are cleaner to give diversity to a whole string of cars in a train. With everything, I try to weather the couplers and wheel sets as a minimum.

Hope this helps...but believe me your first efforts are really good - not too overdone at all. If you can, try getting two of the same cars and weather one, and compare it as you go to the clean one. That way you can see the changes you make in contrast to the other a lot easier.

Attached Files:

4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I agree with Dean on the need to weather the roof, but, other than that, very nicely done. While a few heavily weathered cars are always required, in my opinion, the subtle ones are generally more common.

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

You've done a beautiful job on those, Fluesheet! :cool:

Subtle is the way to go...you can just keep building on it till you get it where you like it!

You're doing excellent work there, my friend! :thumb:
  6. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

Thanks for all the good feedback! Being more subtle is a good point and something that I was starting to grasp as I was working on these. I'll have to pick up a lighter color chalk and try some fading as suggested.

These cars were my practice pieces - if nothing else, I found that the tools I initially used were too coarse (big) to apply the chalks effectively. That's also the excuse behind the pranged locking lever on the covered hopper!
  7. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

Thought I'd post a quick picture of what I was using to apply the chalks. The small paintbrush worked the best on this first attempt. The facial sponge, while recommended by AIM, was far too clumsy. If I use it again, it'll be cut down first.

Attached Files: