Florida Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Sep 26, 2004.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Everyone in Florida - check in here ASAP!!!! Let us know how everything is!!!!!! :D

Hoping everyone is safe!!!!!!! :)
  2. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Just posted at the Florida Postcard thread.
    Wind blown, burned out from all this, but hanging in there.
  3. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:wave: Glad to hear all is well. :thumb: Jim
  4. rojam18801

rojam18801 New Member

new member here.ocala fla .just bought a 12x40 storage shed 3 weeks ago.went through hurricane yesterday.shed is for new layout.big oak tree down,but missed shed by 2 ft. istill have my layout building..
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Wow, rojam - a near miss, I'd say! Congratulations for keeping your RR room. :thumb: Let's hope that all the other Gauge members had as much luck as you had!

And of course, welcome to the Gauge, rojam! Keep us informed when you build up your RR imperium!

6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Glad to know everything is good down there. :wave:
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Had to admit to hugging my collection before leaving for higher ground ;)

As I watched the eyewall pass within 15 miles of my home, I honestly didn't expect to see it in one pile again. When I came back, the property was a mess, with about $500,000 in damages---none of it to my apartment and very little to the building itself.

Some Florida humor...

You might be a Floridian if:

You exhibit a slight twitch when introduced to anyone with the first names of Charley, Frances, Ivan or Jeanne

Your freezer never has more than $20 worth of food in it any given time

You're looking at paint swatches for the plywood on your windows, to accent the house color

You think of your hall closet/saferoom as "cozy"

Your pool is more accurately described as "framed in" than "screened in"

Your freezer in the garage now only has homemade ice in it

You no longer worry about relatives visiting during the summer months

You, too, haven't heard back from the insurance adjuster

You now understand what that little "2% hurricane deductible" phrase really means

You're putting a collage together on your driveway of roof shingles from your neighborhood

You have a 5 gallon bucket of roofing tar in the garage

You were once proud of your 16" electric chain saw

Your Street has more than 3 "NO WAKE" signs posted

You now own 5 large ice chests

You can cook "anything" on a propane grill

You own more than two portable propane tanks

Your parrot can now say" hammered, pounded and hunker down"

You recognize people in line at the free ice, gas and plywood locations

You stop what you're doing and clap and wave when you see a convoy of power company trucks come down your street. You're depressed when they don't stop

You have the personal cell phone numbers of the managers for: plywood, roofing supplies and generators at Home Depot on your speed dialer.

You've spent more than $20 on "Tall white kitchen bags" to make your own sand bags

You're considering upgrading your 16" chainsaw to a 20"

You know what "Bar chain oil" is

You're thinking of getting your wife the hardhat with the ear protector and face shield for Christmas

You now think the $6000 whole house generator seems reasonable

You own more than one 5 gallon gas can

You know how to "backfeed" 220 through the dryer plug

You look forward to discussions about the merits of "cubed, block and dry ice"

Your therapist refers to your condition as "generator envy"

You fight the urge to set your AC to 50 degrees, put on your winter coat and wool cap and parade around in front of your picture window when you finally get power and your neighbor across the street, with the noisy generator, doesn't :p
  8. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Hee! Heee!
    Good one's Shay!
    I got some others coming tomorrow.
  9. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Hey you Florida Gaugers!
    I got some Vacation hours I need to use or lose. I was thinking of doing a state round trip.
    Give a hand cleaning up or general spirit raising. I got a little Ranger so i can haul some stuff.
    Whacha' y'all think? It be like first week of November, Course you most likely have things straight
    by then. Most possible that we could get hit again, too. Welll... let me know.
  10. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Right now you should sleep easy for now. Lets see here, Charley destroyed everything, Frances blew some small stuff around but messed w/the mind, Ivan destroyed everything and drew in lots of water, and Jeanne was like Frances only people moved out. All this, and you're still alive? I don't think I would be. You must have some great resilisence or something. ;)
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Naw, I just reeeeeeeally hate shovelin' snow. :thumb:
  12. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

'nuff said...

...'nuther postcard frum Floridia...

Attached Files:

13. Chessie6459

shaygetz nice one lol :D :D
  14. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

I think I try another direction. Up there they only grow blizzards and tempertures thirty below zero just for fun. Glad you made it.

Ron :thumb: :wave:
  15. ausien

ausien Active Member

I know the devistation that cyclones, can cause, although we dont get many, seveir one`s downunder, I can still remember TRACY that blew Darwin away, a beutifull city off about 35000. she arived christmas eve 1974, not a building remained intact, 308 killed,nearly every women and child were evacuated,(after the storm.) 20000 volentiers arived( me included) and six months later we had a good start to rebuilding darwin.

It is a pity that something as shocking as that, has to happen before we start to pull together, for the good of others, buildings can be rebuilt, people cant, I wish everybody in the Florida aerea, afected, by the quartete,best wishes and all the happyness for the future, and keep safe....have a good one ....Steve
  16. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Pleased to see your Florida now has a border with Canada Shaygetz. Welcome!
  17. docsnavely

docsnavely Member

I told my parents when I was a kid that I hated the constant heat, sun and afternoon showers (at home in orlando). That cartoon would have had me begging to move! It's great to see that all you die hard natives / snowbirds (no offense) made it through everything with good spirits:thumb: !!! Fair winds and following hurricane season! !:cool:

18. Chessie6459

There is still that chance for another one since hurricane season is not over, and you will never guess what the next name is either, Matthew LOL :D :D
  19. ausien

ausien Active Member

Are you going to have a tantrum Mathew? go to your ROOOOM.ha' ha' ha'.....have a good one... (I could`nt resist...)...Steve
  20. Chessie6459

LOL thanks steve :wave: :wave: