Floquil Vs. Poly-S Paints...?

Lighthorseman

Well, as my older Floquil paint get used up, I'm thinking about switching to Poly-S.

Just wondering -

- These are water soluble, aren't they?
- Can anyone point out pros or cons with this paint?
- How are they for airbrushing? Any tips?

Thanks!

Glen Haasdyk

I've just started to switch to water-based/acrylic paints myself. Airbrushing is about the same except acrylics are more sensitive to oils and contaminants on the surface to be painted. The big plus it the water clean-up of course. I don't thin them with water, I will still thin with the thinner specifically for the paint.
I've only used the poly-s weathering colors (rust, mud, dirt) but I do use the testors acrylics and the Bdger model flex and they seem to work fine for airbrushing.
Brush painting is actually better with acrylics, since there aren't any solvents to soften pervious painting. That's just my opinion, anyone else?

Steve, I agree with Glen, I've airbrushed with Floquil onto zinc castings and brass but not onto plastic as I hate cleaning airbrushes twice (once for the barrier and then for the Floquil paint).
Eventually, I just just settled for using brushes for both Floquil and Polly S. The results are almost indistinquishable from each other for dense colouring.
Polly S is the finest sized pigments of any paint I've ever used and frankly, I don't think anything comes close. There are other splendid paints out there, it's just that I prefer Polly S.
Acrylic paints are the way to go Steve and I can see the need for airbrushing if you just want a haze of weathering like soot deposits from diesel exhausts etc.

Two minute brush cleaning too, you simply can't beat acrylic paints.

Errol

neilmunck

I use Polly scale acrylics. They are great. I praticularly like that you can brush paint with them indoors without getting a sore head.

Seriously though - they give excellent coverage although the reds and yellows require more coats than with Humbrol enamels (in my experience).

neil

Lighthorseman

Okay, Polly Scale It Is!

Thanks, everyone!

Now, I suppose I can airbrush with these, even though they say that they're "brush-on" paints?

And, how about Tom PM's tip about blue windshield fluid as a thinner?

Pooh Bah
Steve:
check your LHS carefully; I think there are 2 lines - Polly S and Poly Scale. I'm not sure if there is a difference.
You might want to retain some Floquil to use as primers for metal.
Can you get blue windshield washer fluid in Edmonton? I thought you might only have the purple stuff. :thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

I,ve used the Blue washer fluid to thin for washes but not for airbrushing. Does the washer fluid evaporate quickly enough to give a smooth, well flowing finish?

Russ Bellinis

I think the blue windshield washer fluid is distilled water with soap and perhaps some denatured alcohol in the mix. It should evaporate as quickly as water. I like denatured alcohol for thinning water based acrylics myself. I buy a gallon at a time at the paint dept of home supply stores.

Vic

60103 said:
Steve:
check your LHS carefully; I think there are 2 lines - Polly S and Poly Scale. I'm not sure if there is a difference.
You might want to retain some Floquil to use as primers for metal.
Can you get blue windshield washer fluid in Edmonton? I thought you might only have the purple stuff. :thumb:

The Polly S line of paints are latex based. They are ok for kiddies but not worth "a flip" for model railroad use. The Polly Scale paints are great. They adhere well and can be brushed with little or no brush marks showing up. They also airbrush well.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Steve,

My two cents - I do not have an airbrush, but for brush painting "solid" colours (i.e. not just dry-brushed weathering) I like Testors Model Masters line - it is also water-based. The paint seems to mix more easily and consistently. The Polly colours are good, and the clean-up is easy with water, but I am constantly picking off a dried film, and having to dig out the sludge at the bottom of the bottle ot get a good mix. The Model Master paint doesn't seem to have these issues.

Andrew

Vic

Here's a tip for using Polly Scale paint to keep it from congealing in the bottle......Never shake Polly Scale paint to mix it up. This introduces air into the paint and will cause it to congeal. It must be stirred. Even the people that make it caution against shaking in the their instructional flyer but the LHS's never seem to have that flyer to go with the paint.

SD90

I'd stick with Floquil, I started out with Polly S, and found that it clogs up my airbrush, and doesn't go on as nice. I like the way Floquil looks.