Floquil paint not sticking

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I've got a Bachmann Spectrum Fairbanks Morse H16-44 Deisel (Pennsyvania #8815, black) which I picked up new, on special at my dealer. Just a fabby little runner and smooth and quiet to boot!

I'm attempting to do it over in the V/Line (grey and orange) livery and decals. You've proably seen this livery on pics of Garahbara.

I'm using the Humbrol grey, and Floquil Reefer Orange. The Humbrol Grey is OK, but the Floquil will not stick to the casing. Yep. I've given it a good shake and complete stir to mix the paint properly. I've used the Floquil Orange on other stock/kits with no probs at all. It's a bit thin, but 3 coats were fine on the other stock/kits.

The way I'm going, I'm going to have to give it 20 - 30 coats to get any sorta coverage. Even a recoat after 24 hours, just "dissolves" and wipes off the previous coat. I've given it a coat of Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer, still to no avail.

I'm using a brush (no air gun).

I've now given it a spray with Testors Dullcoate to see if that makes a difference, and I'll try again tomorrow night.

Any ideas or help on this one? :mad:

Thanks guys.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Woodie, Sounds like loco shell has got some oil on it. Remove the shell and wash it in some dish detergent and warm water and let it air dry. The oil won't bother the Humbrol paint because its oil based any way but it will affect the Floquil as it is solvent based.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Vic,
I did give it a clean before hand, but the caseing seemed to be quite smooth compared to other pieces I have. Anyway, the light spray of Testors Dullcoate seemed to do the trick. I'll need to give it another 2 or so coats, but it's not wiping off the previous coats now, and seems to be giving the paint something to "grip" on to.

Thanks guys. :)

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
It may have some sort of protective coating on it, try cleaning with rubbing alochol or something like that then wash well in warm soap and water and let air dry then try again. Just a suggestion as I have has some buildings with this coating on it and until I did above nothing stuck to it. Good luck , keep us informed as to how it goes.. Ron.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I think Vic might be on to it...I think the problem lies in the 2 types of paint not being compatible.
You've probably solved the problem with the Dullcote, though.
Whenever I use 2 paints together, I start with a solvent paint like Floquil, then I go to an acrylic paint...my favorite is Polly Scale (made by Floquil). They stick to the solvent based paints very well.
Also, an air brush is a good thing to have when painting locos...the paint goes on in much thinner layers, & doesn't gunk up any of the molded in detailing.