Floatplanes & Kingfishers

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by graffspree, Jul 26, 2006.

1. graffspree

graffspree New Member

Can anyone recommend some good free models of floatplanes for practice?

Also, does anyone make a good model of the Voight Kingfisher?
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Orlik has a one but I can speak for their quality. Fiddlers Green also has one and plenty of floatplanes for a nominal fee.
  3. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Orlik http://www.orlik.konradus.com/ has just released a 1:33 Vought OS2U Kingfisher that should be quite nice. Lighthouse has it on backorder - I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

5. mOONwOKA

mOONwOKA Member

6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

See this post (in English) at Kartonbau.de. I just added it, and it will direct you to the Konradus site for free downloads. You will find a very nice Walrus flying boat, and a most impressive Japanese Emily four-engined flying boat.

I enlarged both from the 1:200 original to 1:87 scale. The Walrus is no problem; the Emily another story - the generously offered file is locked. In a later post on that site I intend to get back to that problem.

7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Thank you for the excellent link those models look great, don't let Texman see them or he will be building them at half size! Are you going to offer you re-scaled versions or is that copyright infrigement?
  8. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

1:87 models

I wish I could just publish the rescaled versions on the site. After all, they were offered as freeware. However, I don't think that's possible, since German copyright laws are among the strictest in the world.

What remains is to demonstrate how each one of us easily could make our own kits in different scales - whether from freeware downloads or purchased models. I've always found that a very rewarding and creative exercise, even if you don't add anything.

It gets even better if you use the opportunity to create double-sided originals, where that is called for, with details or colour fields added to the back side of your print sheets. I made quite a detailed tutorial in English for that.

If anybody is interested in following suit and build models in 1:87, however, I feel it would be a massive loss of effort if each and everyone should have to go over the same process of rescaling. So if you feel like trying that scale, and is set on one of the freeware models I have reviewed, don't hesitate to give me a note (PM on the Kartonbau.de site is probably the safest route, or regular email. You'll find the address on the Kartonbau.de site. Don't forget to supply your own email, since files sometimes are quite large).

I hope this is a reasonable interpretation of copyright in the case of models offered as freeware downloads. Otherwise, please enlighten me further.

For other scales, it is better for you to download the originals and rescale them yourself. Links are always given in the reviews. And commercially obtained models are of course completely out of bounds to share on any basis.

9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Ok I thought there would be some copyright issues, I have doubled printed kits in the past and find it is a very easy way to improve on a kit. You don't need to go to the trouble of sending me the re scales as they will probably be going in my 'to do' pile anyway. I will read through some of the re-scale tutorials and have a go myself at some point.
  10. graffspree

graffspree New Member

Thanks for all the great links folks!