Flight Sim BGL files

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by sruch, Aug 18, 2004.

1. sruch

sruch New Member

Are there any programs out there that can convert an MS Flight Simulator BGL file to a format that can be unfolded by Pepakura?

Steve Ruch
  2. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Is this the same file type as used by FSDS? Anyone know how to convert those to 3DS or dxf?

3. sbucher

sbucher New Member

I think the extension on those files is .mdl.There are a series of utilities, 4 I think that will convert your .mdl files.
    The latest version is available here:
    I'm working on a Fokker Triplane that I coverted from a CFS model. Almost done with it, I'll post a few pictures when I finish.
  4. sruch

sruch New Member

The BGL I am trying to use comes from an FS2002 add-on. I converted it to MDL using BGL2MDL 1.0.

I tried to use MDL2DXF4 on that MDL and I get a Windows Error that closes the program. Then I tried the earlier version called MDL2DXF32 and it did the conversion with no problem.

Now I have a DXF file but when I try to open it in any DXF viewer or in Metasequioia it gives no error but the model does not appear. If I try to open it in Pepakura I get an error.

Any ideas? I'll keep trying...

5. GyverX

GyverX Member

6. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out today :)

7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

For the most part, if the aircraft model was designed with Gmax, the MDL file will not convert. However, most other MDL files (in the MSFS format) will. I have used a program called Aircraft Container Manager to covert files and it works well. You can find it at www.aircraftmanager.com .
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

http://www.aircraftmanager.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9 looks like it might be worth looking at, as it seems to be able to generate UV maps from existing flight sim models. I d/led the dmo, but I don't have FS2004 to try it on. Maybe someone else can check this out? If you can extract the mesh as well, you will have a ready-made paper model complete with textures!

Gil, one for you, maybe?

Tim P
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

I don't have FS2004 either...., anyone have time to explore this one? I'm up to my Gunwhales in Alulminum Foil Paper development, UU3D, Pepakura, Illustrator, Turbocad and getting a design out.

Best, Gil
  11. sbucher

sbucher New Member

Here's a photo of the Fokker Triplane I've been working on.
    It's a converted CFS 3-D model built just as the software unfolded it.
    It's not bad considering I did no editing, I just wanted to see what it would look like built just as it was converted.
  12. MDL Conversion

Fascinating site you have here.

I have a utility developed from Henry Veppling's MDL to DXF programs that can convert some MS Flight sim .mdl models into .x or .mqo formats with texturing. It's a bit buggy and won't run without the C++ development environment on the PC at the moment but I am trying to overcome these problems. Would anyone be interested in models generated in this way?

I have produced a B-26 and Sea Fury that can be downloaded from the RC-Sim.de site under FMS 2.8 aircraft. There is also a fantastic modeller called Logic Wizard who has produced some excellent low poly textured aircraft models for FMS whose site may be of interest you can find him viahttp://rcp.web.infoseek.co.jp/fms_e.html
  13. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

I'm interest to see how that program work, create .mqo model with texture that is very cool. can u capture screen of that program when it running? very very interesting
  14. Umc2

Here's a shot:
    - sorry haven't figured how to add pics here or link to them - look in Forum FAQ for a pic of an A-26 from Plastic Bonsai.

It's hard to show what the utility (UMC2 - Universal Model Creator and Convertor - a bit of a conceit at the moment but an eventual aim) does like this. This particular model is the result of 30 minutes work as it can't pick up the model plain panel colours so I had to paint the transparencies and this being a CFS model it had several lower resolution models wrapped around it - but you may be interested in those as they would make simpler models!

Besides the conversions it can paint and delete panels and perform basic modelling functions.

It doesn't work on all .mdl files though I have several hundred I have collected so far. If you are interested then please nominate subjects and I'll see what I can provide.
  15. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

that look great...that is in .mqo format? :smile:
  16. That is a simple render in Open GL within my utility UMC2. It has the facility to smooth the model panels under the lighting conditions though all those surfaces are composed of flat panels.

UMC2 can output files in .mqo and .x format. If you have a requirement for another text format then please supply me with teh deatils and I'll see what I can do.

It can read .x files used by Virtual Sailor, the .msh files used by Orbiter, the .dns files used by YSFlight and ".obj" files used by PACS EasyFlight as well as MS Fight Sim .mdl files.

And via Deep Exploration I can get at 3DS files from Celestia, Lightwave files from anything below V. 7.0 (including some nice AFVs and other vehicals from DMI).

At the moment it won't run without MS Visual C++ 6.0 but I am working on that. If you would like to try a converted model then let me know.
  17. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Plastic Bonzai,

does UMC2 convert .mdl what build from GMAX and FSDS2? mdl2dxf or ACM can only convert .mdl what is not build from GMAX or FSDS2. UMC2 look very promising if i install visual c++ in my computer then i can run your UMC2, right?

thank you very much for your information.
  18. I think it has the most success with pre-FS2004 models those with MDL8 in the header and are probably from FSDS. It has managed to read some files with RIFF in the header which is predominant in FS2004 which is probably GMAX based. I don't understand all the format and the RIFF files in particular have a complex logic structure that I can only get right if it is simple. I recently attempted to read .3ds files directly with some success and I hope to read across what I have learnt to the RIFF file reading as there are strong similarities.

If you have MS Visual C++ 6.0 on your machine then the program should work - though I don't know why I can't get a stand-alone release out of it but I am having some progress on that. It is a buggy little devil but you possibly may find it fun. At least it will convert the files to a format you can use elsewhere.
  19. charliec

charliec Active Member

This mightn't be of any use but when I used to do M$ C coding the problem with
    not being to compile a standalone often came down to problems with library includes (usually forgetting one of them).

20. modelincard

modelincard Member

Since no one's mentioned it, there is another flight sim that I know of.
    http://www.x-plane.com/ Product page
    http://www.x-plane.org/ Free/payware add-on page (mostly free)
    There are certanly some planes there I'd like to see. Some custom ones that are only there. Just thought I'd let you know.