Flight of the Phoenix

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by maucutt, Oct 24, 2012.

1. maucutt

maucutt New Member

Does anyone know what type of "flying boxcar was used in the original Flight of the Phoenix?
  2. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

Maucutt, It's a Fairchild C-119G Flying Boxcar. If you go to Bob's Card Models, he has both the Flying Boxcar AND the Flight of the Phoenix Plane models. The web addie is http://www.bobscardmodels.net76.net/ .Hope this helps.
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wow, where have you been hiding!?!? :)
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The BV212 Jet Model there has a neat Kettenkraftrad that comes with it. That site has some really neat models! :)
  5. maucutt

maucutt New Member

"Where have I been"

Long story short.
    I had a heart attack a year ago, they discovered my left ventricle was overgrown with muscle so they had to cut it out. Its been a long recovery and somehow I just lost interest in everything, hobbies music family. But I'm back up and running now!
    Thanks for asking
  6. maucutt

maucutt New Member

The boxcar on Bob's models is excellent thanks, however the canopy is too far forward. Perhaps the Jimmy Stewart version was just a Hollywood mock up.

Thanks again
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It was too far back, the real one crashed and the pilot died. There's a video of it on YouTube but it is kind of morbid knowing the guy died in that mess.
  8. warren61

warren61 Member

9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Yeah, the C-82's most notable difference was the location of the cockpit over the cargo bay, using up valuable space. There were many differences, the evolution of the former C-82 had it's deficiencies addressed, leading to the C-119, they kept the same overall shape though.