Flextrack

nicknero

Aug 19, 2005
Im building a new layout now I need to figure out how to make my turning radius the size I need how do I do it for cheap

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I just use one of the cheap yardsticks from Lowes or somebody. Drill an 1/8" hole at the 1" mark, then other holes at your desired radius plus 1" i.e. 18" at the 19" mark etc. Then just poke a nail thru at the 1" mark and a pencil at the other, find your centerline and off you go.:thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
How cheap do you need?
Build a compass. You need a yardstick (or similar), a nail or pin and a pencil.
Drill a small hole in the middle of the stick at the 1" mark. Then drill a hole at the mark for R+1". (R is your radius.) Put the nail through the 1" mark and then at the center of where you want the circle. Use the pencil and the other hole to mark the circle for the centerline.
If you want other circles drawn, drill holes 5/16" aaway from the 1" mark. These will mark the rails for HO gauge. A few more holes will mark the ends of ties or the outside of roadbed.
You may find it handy to use the yardstick the otherway round if the end hits walls or whatever.
You can use it to cut a circle of cardboard or hardboard to the inside rail radius and bend your flextrack to match that.

Bob: snap!

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
if you are using flex track just get a wooden yard stick drill a hole at 1 inch that way you can mark out up to a 34 inch radius by drilling holes to hold a pencil.

dang you guys are fast :)

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Also, if a yardstick is too unwieldly in tight spaces, you can use a string to draw the circles instead. Just tie a string to the center nail as previously described with the yardstick, then measure the string to the proper radius you desire, and tie a pencil at the desired length, then draw away. :thumb:

L

lester perry

I use the string method myself with a tape measure. I have used tape measure hooked on the nail also holding pencil at desired measurement.
Les