flextrack on trestles

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
I've just finished laying my track (HO) and plan to start debugging the layout. My concern is that I have a numbewr of trestles with quite a drop that would probably cause damage to the locos. Would it be wise to iadd rerailers to the flex track before running the trains? If so, I assume it would be best to run the rerailer for the full trestle length plus a foot or more at each end. Would it also be best to add rerailers inside the tunnel areas where it would be difficult to correct a derailment?
Thanks, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jim,
Yes use a checkrail on both sides, it helps the wheels locate the curve better. Here's my 9' long trestle bridge, which is on a 5% grade also.

Shamus

ltres1.jpg

waver.gif

NARA Member #24
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Shamus, thanks for your reply and terific photo. Is the "checkrail" a product or did you fabricate it?. The photo seems to show a solid material between the rails. Is that correct? I figure I will need a guidecheckrail for about 400 feet of rail and was thinking of finding a roll material 2mm thick (0.080"). I could cut it into 4 or 5 mm widths and spaced 80mm inside both rails. I was hoping to find a roll material thereby avoiding the alignment problems associated with short pieces.
I'm surely impressed with your latest digital camera effort.
Someday I'll have sufficient detail to warrant documenting the project and sharing it with you guys. In the mean time, I'm learniing a lot from you and others and dream of copying your
many projects.
Take care, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jim,
For my H0 check/Guard-rails(re-railer--whatever USA verses UK again) I use n-scale code 55 rail pulled out of the sleepers(ties) and glued in place. The inside of my trestle track bed looks solid but in fact is only the code55 rail with stripwood placed inside.

cheers
Shamus
waver.gif

NARA Member #24
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Shamus,
Thanks AGAIN for your direction. I think I'll try stripwood (about 0.090" x 0.180") first. I'm hoping the wood guide surface will be adequate to keep the wheels on the track. I need to upgrade my trim saw and guide fence before I can cut the stripwood. I'll need a lot not only for the guide rail but also for the trestle projects.
Take care, Jim