flexible road material

Old 'n' Weary

Mar 22, 2006
I'm looking for some flexible material that I can use to make roads on my new layout. The material should be about three inches in width, less than a quarter inch in thickness, and if it came in a roll that would be great. The road needs to make some fairly sharp curves and to traverse some hills and valleys, so the material needs to be pretty flexible. Any ideas?

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
This stuff was intended for railroad roadbed, but I have seen it used for roads. I believe it is made from coal tar. It's flexible and easy to work and also tacky, so you can press ballast or dirt into it. It will easily conform to any terrain you have to traverse.

http://www.ami-roadbed.com/

Old 'n' Weary

Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the info, Zedob. I've accessed the website you posted and now I'm waiting for a response from the manufacturer.

Jules Winnfield

Mar 23, 2006
Woodland Scenics HO 24' Track-Bed Roll

I have used Woodland Scenics HO 24' Track-Bed Roll it worked very well and looks great!
You must pull it apart at the center perf and put it down 1 side at a time to keep it from buckling at the curves. I have actually done a 90 degree turn that worked well.you can get this anywhere you can get woodland scenics(which is everywhere)

Old 'n' Weary

Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the info, Jules. It's not quite what I'm looking for. Fortunately, I found some rolls of 2.5 inch wide, one-eighth inch thick rubber on ebay that might do the trick. I'll let you know.