Flea Market Loco

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
I picked up this steam loco from a flea market for $5....the box is marked Atlas BR 10 DB Steam Loco made in April of 1971.....I have researched and found the prototype is a German steam passenger loco, either built in 1957 or was in service until then, not sure. I was hoping some of our European brothers can help me with more info on this engine/tender. Is is a coal or an oil tender? Although my layout is set in East Texas in 1960 - 1975, there is a huge German community in the Hill Country (central Texas), I thought some day I could add this as a tourist attraction or something like that....
The engine # on the engine matches the photo I found, I thought that was pretty cool :thumb:....
Excuse my photography skills, I don't have much of a camera yet.....
Any additional info will be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 10-001.jpg
    10-001.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 18

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
The BR10 was build in 1957 for the German Railroad with oil burner and partial enclosure for high speed passenger trains.
Although different manufacturers made this model, I assume it is a Rivarossi. If the engine still runs, $5 is a great deal.

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
Thanks for the info, Roland. The box it came in is marked Atlas, but it looks like a Rivarossi emblem on the back of the box. It doesn't run, but I will play around and repair it some day. If not, it still looks cool.
What exactly do you mean when you refer to partial enclosure - is that the deflectors on the sides??? Is that for channeling some of the smoke away??? Thanks again.....

lucakiki

Jan 23, 2008
italy
streamlined BR10

Scubadude,
yes, this model was actually manufactured by Rivarossi: it appears for the first time in the 1970/71 Rivarossi-Atlas Catalog. Originally it was supplied with an alternative cowl for the front bogey, trimmed to enable the use on smaller radius curved track, included in the box.
It was later also sold under the Arnold brand: not sure if the motor was always Rivarossi, or if it was replaced with an Arnold.
Definitely a collectors item: last I saw sold recently on ebay went for some 80 dollars, from memory.
Rivarossi item number is 2193.

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
With that shrouding one would imagine he was thinking semi streamlined.

Nice find by the way sign1

Sorry I could not remember the technical term anymore. According to the German web site I found, only 2 were manufactured (10 001 and 002). The covers not only should cut down on the air resistance but also keep the cylinders insulated and free of dirt. Since the time of steam engines came to and end in Germany, they were already retired in 1968. The 001 is on display at the Deutsche Dampflokomotiv-Museum in Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg, Germany while the 002 was saved by German railroad fans in Hill Country, central Texas (okay the last part was made up for Richard).
I got the information from here Daten von Dampfloks

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
That is one cool looking engine mate:thumb: Even if it doesn't run, have it as an exhibit in one of your popular areas. Those areas should be close to the tracks to keep the option of the train steaming again open:mrgreen: By the way, your camera skills are definently better than when I started!:p

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
That is one cool looking engine mate:thumb: Even if it doesn't run, have it as an exhibit in one of your popular areas. Those areas should be close to the tracks to keep the option of the train steaming again open:mrgreen: By the way, your camera skills are definently better than when I started!:p
If I can't get it to run again, I plan to use it as a static display in a park or something like that. As I said earlier, the Central Texas Hill Country (Between and west of Austin and San Antonio area) has a huge German influence. You may have heard of Luckenbach, Texas (Willie, Waylon and the boys)? :thumb: As for the camera, I found the best investment is in a tripod, no matter how still you think you are, you're not sign1

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There are a couple German steamers in US tourist use, so that idea isn't completely wild, though the ones I know of are narrow gauge.

The BR 10 was the last new class of express passenger steam locomotive in Europe. (In fact, the only later introduction I know of is the Chinese RM pacific, from 1958.) They were seriously delayed - I believe they were designed in 1950. Much older passenger engines outlasted them.