Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by andrew ferguson, Mar 21, 2007.

1. I was reading about 'flats', also called zinnfiguren, which are 2 dimensional toy soldier models that were first made in the 19th century (and are still being made today).

Essentially they were molded from tin and were just about 2mm thick, being intended for viewing only from the front side, which was painted, often in great detail. Here is a link to some general info and pictures, some of the detail on the models is quite astonishing. http://www.flats-zinnfiguren.com/contents1.html

I was thinking that the equivelant for paper models would be a scaled up (or scaled down) picture or drawing, mounted on some kind of stiff backround and glued to some sort of base.

Obviously these would be extremely simple to make and i could think of a few applications for this...eg backround pieces for a diorama (fronts of buildings, trees etc) or where a large number of similar items was desired (eg groups of individual soldier figures).

They'd be particularily useful for those who like to photograph their models, as the lack of three dimensionality would not be very noticable.

Just curious if anyone ever used this idea in their work?
  2. hpept

hpept Member

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am looking for some western ones to play gold city with - any ideas? I cant find any western type figurines in 10mm at all in any material.... :( so this would be a really great alternative!
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Shhh. Don't call them paperdolls.
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Sort of. Here is my Knight, viewed from the front entry of my Wood Engraver's Castle.

I just laminated the cardstock to twice thickness. Works well enough for me.

Just use any picture or graphic of figures...
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great castle, my dear Phil!
  7. papertrain

papertrain Member

This has been used with toys since the advent of printing i would suppose. They have been used by Gilbert for their circus trains. Girls have had paper figures that they dressed up with a vareity of clothes (note i did not call them paper dolls):grin: . Punch out books are a good example also. and the list goes on....:roll:

When i was manufacturing train kits I used a flat factory back drop for my promotional models... Many wondered were I got the great factory kit and were surprised to find out the entire factory was 1/32 " thick.
  8. shrike

shrike Guest

I've got a set of Austro-Hungarian soldiers circa 1915 I picked up a long time ago. One A3 (sorta) sheet of approximately 54mm figures from all parts of the empire. Jaegers, sappers, Bosnianner (mit fez no less!) and one dead guy, which shows that children were expected to be a little more realistic about playing war at the time.
    If I was sure of the copyright implications of an 87year old sheet printed in a country that no longer exists, I might be able to scan it and make it avaialbel.
  9. papertrain

papertrain Member

I have a sneeking suspicion that would fall into the public domain catagory
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Thank you Gerardo! Both of my castles are on my webpage now...
  11. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have been scouring the web looking for various old west photos that might be usable for printing these kinds of figures and no luck :( If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!
  13. What i would do is go to a large book store and look for books on the old west with lots of illustrations in them. Try children's books, especially. You could then scale down the pictures to the size you want.
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ohhhhh heyyyyyy great idea! My dad has a few books that might work....