FL9 question

N

nachoman

That's an interesting question. My guess is all electric locos would need to have thier "shoe" (or pantograph) in contact with the third rail (or catenary) in order to get power. This is just a rough guess, as I would assume having an MU connection between units that carries that much current would be problematic. Were there any FL9-Bs?

Kevin

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
The FL-9 was built by EMD specifically for the New Haven railroad. It was a dual mode loco based on the F9, that could run either on its diesel prime mover, or when entering New York City, would drop a "shoe" for electrical operation only. The prime mover was shut down. What made this economical was, it could make a commuter run from Boston to New York City with out a loco change, and then make a run on the non-electrified Berkshire Division the next. After the Penn Central merger, Metro North recieved all the FL-9's. Ten were saved, while the rest were scrapped. 2006 was the last year the FL9(or FL10, as Metro North designated them) being replaced by the GE's P32-42 Genesis. Naugatuck Valley Railroad has two of them, in McGuinnes paint. One is still being used by Metro North for back up power, and the rest were being scrapped.
There were no "B" units built.

JR&Son

SO
In the what if world of the Flat River and Red Mountain Rail Road,
My classic F9's could be followed by "B"s or slugs.
Since we are still running on a wing and a prayer, cobbling together lash ups to make it over the 5+% grade at Red Mountain, maybe the &Son and I should procure / manufacture our own.
Im not sure the CFO (Mom) is going to be happy with us reopening the CT Engine House (Coffee Table).

On a brighter note, the generous donation of passenger equipment from a Railroad in Texas, is still our most profitable run. With the addition of a couple of newer Domes, we stay near capacity on the weekend runs over the summit. Running EVERY weekend still, after 1 full year in operation. The COO (&SON) has finally figured out that it is more fun to keep the cars on the rails, rather than constantly having to re-rail them after high speed curves.

JR&SON

Pooh Bah
If we follow the model provided by rapid transit systems , esp. subways, each loco would have a shoe (or shoes). On the subway there are gaps in the 3rd rail at turnouts and these are frequently longer than the shoe spacing. This results in large flashes when the car leaves the circuit, and smaller flashes when it picks up again. The subway relies on momentum and following cars to cross the gap; even paired cars don't pass traction current. In Toronto, the older cars didn't have any special lighting circuits and the cars would go dark in turn as they passed the gap.
I don't know about the FL9, but older NYC electrics had small pantographs on the roof that could pick up from rails mounted on the ceiling at special work.

Triplex

I believe Great Northern Y1 electrics could operate in this way (a pair would only require one to have its pantograph up).

As for running a diesel's traction motors off an electric, effectively using it as a slug, I think this occurs frequently in South Africa. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Russ Bellinis

It would depend on how fast you want to run compared to how much pulling power you would need. Slugs are like parasites taking power off the "mother" unit's generator to run it's traction motors. Since it is running twice as many motors as the prime mover was designed to run, it will only run about 1/2 speed or slower. If you need high speed for passenger operations, then you would use a b unit or even a second a unit so that you would have both a prime mover (diesel engine/gen set) and traction motors.

No. FL9s and all other F units M.U.ed the same, and there were no power cables between units (except for the rebuilds with HEP), just the M.U. jumper and your pnuematic hoses for brakes and sand. And no, I don't have any source of proof or documentation on that.

Dave

JR&Son

When the &SON wants to strut his stuff,
He will normally run all 3 of the Red Bonnet Sante Fe F9's, the 2 RB SF B units, The 2 C&O F7s, both the F3 and PA-1 Army specials, the Army B unit and then just for good measure throw the 2 GP-40 UPs at the end.
Thats right, 12 engines on the Mainline.
Needless to say our cab units are not exactly stock.
I can run up to 35 amps to the rails @ almost 14 volts.
The problem we have is with the 15 amp PWM controlers, we learned early on that rated and actual dont normally equal AND you can not hold them while your running that kind of lash up.
BUT
The kid is grinning from ear to ear!
And frankly that is the only thing that really matters anyway.

JR&SON

Gary Pfeil

Well, another thing that matters is your kids safety, and yours. That kind of current, even at low voltage, can be dangerous. Must be interesting when you have derailments.

JR&Son

I have not run the big guns, We power the PWM cabs with 5 amp 14 volt supplies, that plenty of power and speed for the &SON. They wont stay on the tracks with what we have.

JR&SON