Fitting Problems Apollo 7 & Launch Pad

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by winterschmied, Jul 24, 2007.

1. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

i'm building a Saturn 1B model (Apollo7) from Hobby Model from Poland in scale 1/72. For a nice standing I am building Carl's Saturn Era Pad 34 in scale 1/72 too. And now i got some problems:
    1. The Diameter from the Pad is 3.5 inches, the diameter from the 1B is nearly 4.25 inches. When I try to stand the 1B to the Pad the engines don't fit into the hole. I printed Carl's Pad at 100%, so that i think the scale is ok. Where's the knot in my brain?
    2. There are two different sorts of legs at the port. Where do they have to fit? I've not found any picture that made it clear visible.

I'll try to get some photos to make it more clear.

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Please post pictures

Please post pictures of the miss-match. I know the pad model is correct scale.

Hope to help,

3. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

One of the models appears to be out of scale, and I would put my money on the Hobby Model not being the correct scale. Given the 4.25 in diameter at 1/72 scale that works out to 306 inch (25.5 foot) diameter several sources on the web indicates that the 1b Buster was 259 inches (21.6 feet) in diameter. That would make the Hobby model closer to 1/60 scale not 1/72

Keep in mind that the paper model designers take liberties with shapes and sizes it is not uncommon to find size errors in models.

What to do, double check the length of the 1B to make sure that the model is proportionally correct. Then Rescale the launch platform to match the model.

Jim Nunn
  4. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

@ Carl: I knew your model at the right sale, but with your confirmation i'm on the secure side.:thumb:

@ Jim: I've got that sort of problem with different scales some time ago. As a modelrailwayer too I've got two similar locomotives from different manufacturers, they both say that they are scale 1/87 but a difference of nearly 0.5 inches in length was obvious?!:confused:

I will try to build T. Nottebooms 1B in time and look at the differences.

Thanx for your help
  5. mcdlt

mcdlt SpacePort USA

Scratch Build Apollo 7 and Complex 34

I'me building a scratch build 1/96 saturn 1B in plastic and wood with a 1/96 pad 34 pedestal including the fire deflector (scratch build in plastic). will need paper model template for the umbellical Tower. the amount of scematics and diagrams are very limited. Do you know where to find it.