First Weathering Attempt - CN Boxcar

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Agatheron, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Well... my first weathering attempt has just rolled off the painting table and onto my layout. Part of the motivation for this is I have 3 Atlas N-Scale Boxcars that were "too old" for my layout, in that they had roof walkways. I decided to try and modify them by pulling off the roof racks, putting putty into the holes, and then painting the roof. I figured while I was at it, I'd try my hand at weathering, and even a bit of graffiti. Here's my first attempt... It's not a rivet-counter's ideal, as the ladders on the sides are still too high, but it was more an attempt to get the feel for weather, while actually being able to make use of some rolling stock I actually had on hand.

I have two more boxcars that are on my painting table, but this one was the first to be completed. I may still dust this with another layer of dullcote, since it has a bit of shine from one of the gunge washes I did... If I do that though, I'll provide another picture after the other two boxcars are done, and I've dullcoted all of them.

Basic shot:

Closer look at the same side:

The other side:

Any feedback for a first attempt before I move onto my other two?
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Cool, how did you do the graffiti? As for the ladders a good number stayed that long after the roofwalks were removed.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you do attack the ladders, rmember that you still need a long ladder at the corner where the handbrake is, unless you lower that as well.
    The weathering looks convincing. One additional possibility: a long scrape along the side where someone used a fork lift to close the door.
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Nice work! Sure doesn't look like a first attempt!! :thumb:

5. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

i have to AGREE with Val:D, VERY NICE!!!:thumb:
  6. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Thanks for the feedback so far... I managed to get the other two "first attempts" on my desk completed. All of them still need one final layer of dullcote, but I snapped a picture without the flash on both of these. I am happier with the graffiti on the cn car, and there are some aspects of these two that I like better, but I am worried I "overdid" the GTW car...

Anyway, for your critique and feedback:

CN Boxcar:

GTW Boxcar:

7. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, those look GREAT, I love them.

As for the GTW car, not overdone, just a rust bucket :D :D

Keep it up:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great job!:thumb: :thumb:
  9. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Great job. :thumb: :thumb: I concur with Josh, you didn’t overdo the GTW car.
  10. viperman

viperman Active Member

All 3 look great to me. I too agree with Josh, and even Kurt, in that the GT is not overdone. I have boxcars with the roofwalk still, but really don't have any plans to change that at this time
  11. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Those look GREAT! I really like the weathering. The rust, graffiti, everything looks really good. That GT isn't over done, sure it looks used - but it's supposed too. Really nice job!