First US Aircraft carrier

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by Lepercan, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Allow me to present the USS Coeur De Lion, depicted in her mission as prime mover for the first US aircraft carrier.

2. David H

David H Member

Fantastic doesn't really say enough!

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

great work! Thanks for sharing with us :)
  4. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

I was informed yesterday, by an esteemed colleage on another site, that I had the barge wrong. As he had documentation, I must, regretfuly, admit to incomlete research and consider redoing the diorama. If I do, I will consider... 1/500. :twisted:
  5. Formerly Styrene

Formerly Styrene New Member

Ballooning for fun and profit

Yeah, that's a rivet counter for you. Well I love the dio, especially the mad scientist shack which holds the gas generator. It's a great piece of work and we know that your heart was in the right place.

6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Lep, you never cease to amaze me. Great diorama! More! More!!
  7. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Hokay, Researched, redesigned, rebuilt model of the first vessel designed as an aircraft carrier, the USS George Washington Parke Custis and her prime mover, the USS Coeur De Lion. (I now know more than I ever wanted to know about Civil War air activity)

8. David H

David H Member

I just noticed the beam engine "sticking" out the top of the Couer de Lion, now that's technology on the move!

Bigger barge is nice but the little one was cool too.

9. briannetgirl

briannetgirl New Member

What lovely work! I'd be pleased as punch if I were you, it's great!
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It used Hydrogen, it that wasn't scary enough! Those barges created Hydrogen through a chemical reaction.
  11. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

Just learned my history for today. And here I was thinking "The Langley". Beautiful models and a great subject for a diorama! Thanks!
  12. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

I remember making Hydrogen in a chem lab. Couldn't help but think "muahahah, with this hydrogen, my fleet of tissue-paper airships will be nigh-unstoppable!"
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Hydrogen is easy to make. If you make "Brown's Gas" by accident though, you could have you heck of an explosion on your hands! :)
  14. youngtiger1

youngtiger1 New Member

Oh, the balloon on that took me a second to figure this one out. I was looking for an aircraft...:D