First try... First Layout

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
Had time to get some more work done... going to put the water in this week i think... the barn is getting replaced by another smaller one this week too....

33.JPG

my creative attempt of hiding an ugly turnout

37.JPG

and the lake before I fill it... with the new sporting goods store :)
29.JPG

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great Job!

VERY impressive Strthoky!
This may be your 1st attempt, but you're providing the rest of us with plenty of good ideas & techniques!
Thanks for the pics & the inspiration!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Nice work! Like others have said you have a great knack for scenary. I especially like the culvert scene and the clever use of corrugated carboard for the tilled field. Looking forward to seeing upadates!
Ralph

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
that is pretty awsome but i hope you dont mind a little suggestion your road with the tire tracs in it i from evey back road i have been on they have all been as wide as the tires so i hope you get what i meen and otherwise that layout is very very nice for a first try

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Thanks, that's a good idea, I think I will use that on my layout too, if it's ok with you?! There are so many common things you can use in this hobby if you jus talk to the right people!

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
Been working on my layout all morning... man what a stress reliever..

here is an overall shot of the progress

fulllay.JPG

I relocated the area for the farm. and scratch built a better barn than the one first pictured on my layout..

My citizen's also upgraded their communication capabilities... with a new cell tower.. a nice easy scratch build..
cell.JPG

you can see the round hay bails in the background... nothing more than painted ciggarette filters :)

After building the sanding tower I wanted to be able to refresh the "Go-Go" juice in my loco's... so I scratch built a fuel oil servicing facility

servicing2.JPG

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
The servicing facility needed to be a secure area.. in light of todays terrorism threat... so A fence was constructed.

3346.JPG

The next addition was the ice cream shoppe / scenic train ride depot... since I am modeling Current day era... I had no use for my conrail caboose... so a nice "kitbash" and some signage... and now I am ready to go shopping at my LHS for steam power :)

7878.JPG

4554.JPG

another shot of the new barn

2212.JPG

and finally here is the ONLY thing NOT scratchbuilt or kitbashed in some way shape or form. (my loco's and cars are also store bought) but as far a scenery this is the only off the shelf item...

storebought.JPG

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
well I decided to add a transition piece of rockwork for the back of the mountain.. along with a new retaining wall... both scratchbuilt... doesn't match the front side of the mountain 100% but I think being different is better!

IMGP0993s.jpg

IMGP0998s.jpg

impgo988s.JPG

and here are 2 shots of the front (the first one I made)

2.JPG

portal.JPG