First try... First Layout

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
Wooooooooooooo HOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! I have finally marked progress on my layout... I am a newbie that has been lurking around and skimming info for a couple months.... hopefully I can post these images properly... let me know if I screw it up... and please please give me constructive criticism :)

grrrrr couldn't get em loaded right will try to post pics...

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Strthoky, and welcome to the gauge. If you are still having trouble loading up photo via our BROWSER, let us know.

Shamus
waver.gif

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
Here is my first attempt at weathering my rolling stock.....
20.JPG

And afetr some inspiration from this site my attempts at scratch building some scenery The barn is not completed though
:D
12.JPG

Of course I have to show my patriotic support :) hehe
15.JPG

the portal is carved plaster... inspired from a thread on here....
and you can see the hand carved foam retaining wall and mountain side
portal.JPG

I goofed the paint job on the stones.... it was looking real nice until I put a acrylic matte top coat and then the wonderful multi color painted stones peeled their paint.. temp fix until later

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
I'm REALLY liking your work!! If this is your first attempt you're off to a GRAND start.

Question: How did you come up with the garden/field next to the barn? I've got to make one too and the rows look great.

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
I took a courogated (sp?) card board box and gently yook one of the outside (smooth layer) off to expose the "rows" I am thinking about putting some of those brass corn stalks I have seen in there..

Thanks a bunch... this site has help so much when it comes to ideas and help doing things... maybe one day my layout could look half as good as some of these "I can't Believe that is not real life" model layouts :)

Here is some pics of total progress.... today I plan on weathering the rest of the track already laid... and ballast it..

layout.JPG

and this is the creek / pond I have yet to finish
creekpond.JPG

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Welcome Strthoky, That's an impressive quality of attention you're putting into the scenery as you progress.
I wouldn't presume to criticise it, there isn't anything to criticise.
I would suggest something though which could enhance the running of the layout though.......
In your last photo, there seems to be space at the lower left for inserting a run round track, usefull for holding a train in.

I can see it is going to be a very attractive layout... well done.

Errol

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
:D :D yea I am sure ... my only other layout was snap track layed out around the kitchen table with woodgrain formica ground cover:D :D

Kettle stack I had planned that on the right side but then decided not to.. On the left side I want to put a run around and a turnout on the run around so that I can expand off the lower left end there if I want to...

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
here is another picture of foam manipulation :)

21.JPG

And here is the bottom of my pond waiting for some Faux Water... I am trying to hold out on that so I don't get it all scratched and messed up... but I am dying to see how it would look filled up.....
pondbottom.JPG

Thanks for all the nice comments ... actually I should be thanking you... I have been able to do this because I have poured through your threads and gleened knowledge for you!!