first train set

hobokid

thebull
May 19, 2006
long island ny
hey all, i just started my first train set but im broke as hell rightnow,me and my friend found a box of trains in a dumpster and weve been hooked since. yeterday i purchased my first unit a bachmann spectrum ge dash8-40c undecorated, i went with a dark blue base and light blue accents,i havent decided what decals to use yet but i was leaning towards conrail. we plan on starting a club but weve been busy working, and trying to find as much ho stuff as we can.i was wondering if any one knows of good train places like auctions and stuff online.well have a nice night -dan

L

lester perry

If location bmore menas Baltimore you have a fine model rr shop where you live. HB Kline on pratt street.
Les

hobokid

thebull
May 19, 2006
long island ny
lester perry said:
If location bmore menas Baltimore you have a fine model rr shop where you live. HB Kline on pratt street.
Les
yes ive become a huge fan of that store, its where i picked up my first unit and box car. great prices too.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
hobokid said:
hey all, i just started my first train set but im broke as hell rightnow,me and my friend found a box of trains in a dumpster

Welcome to the fun! Being broke as hell can also equal a challenge to modeling skills. Are you able to scratch build? I've built some smaller HO stuff (fishing gear, picnic table and an outhouse) using scraps that were laying around the apartment. Adds to the fun!:D

Agamemnon said:
That has got to be the height of serendipity!

Yeah really. You'd be surprised at what people throw out. I found a huge pile of low voltage wiring that would be perfect for lighting. Gotta love dumpster diving!:thumb:

hobokid

thebull
May 19, 2006
long island ny
yeah, and i just found out life like products is right down the street from where im stayn, id really like to get some warehouse work there.and who knows what their dumpsters behold???

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
hobokid said:
yeah, and i just found out life like products is right down the street from where im stayn, id really like to get some warehouse work there.and who knows what their dumpsters behold???

Good luck. :) It would be a good idea to ask permission before diving though. Some companies are on the anal side for even their dumpsters. Heck, they may let you look through the stuff before it's dumped or even keep an eye out for stuff that you may be looking for to help. I've done that at work and my boss has pointed stuff out to me.:D