First train set in 30 years, need some help!

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MarcO, Nov 11, 2007.

1. MarcO

MarcO Member

Ok so I got my son the Lionel PE set because hes a big fan of the movie. Its comes with some fasttrack and im looking to make a new layout.
    I found a good one in Atlas-O. Looks like Atlas 036 its 12 tracks per circle?
    Fastrack 036 is 8 tracks per circle. Im hoping you guys and let me know what fastrack ill need to make the one in this link.

O 3Rail Nickel Silver Layout Gallery

I dont want to experiment too much because the track is expensive. Any help you can give me is appreciated!

2. Brutus

Brutus Member

MarcO - I put this in RRT and it wouldn't really fit on 5 x 10 so made it 6 x 10. You have to be careful of curved tracks that are close to each other, because the cars and locomotives hang out pretty far on curves and the trains can collide. I think I made this a little wider for that reason and you could easily experiment with a few pieces of straight to make it a little longer or wider... Here's a pic of the layout I came up with in RRTracks:

You would need the following track:

31 Fastrak straights (10 inch)
    24 Fastrak curves (O36)
    4 Fastrak straights (5 inch)
    2 Fastrak 90 degree cross pieces

Hope this helps!
  3. MarcO

MarcO Member

Wow thanks

That is just what I needed Thanks!
    ill upload a shot when I do the test layout and another on xmas morning!
  4. Brutus

Brutus Member

No problem! Can't wait to see your pics! There are several add-on cars for the PE now, including a new one that is coming out where the hobo is on the roof of the car and flips down inside/disappears, that looks pretty cool! Just FYI.
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Curves aside, just how many trains would you run on that layout? It does look like a good layout for lots of buildings, streets, autos and city details.

6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

And how about a couple of sidings here and there..?? It's gonna be fun to see that layout when it's "finished"...:thumb:
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Yeah a couple of sidings would be neat, and it looks like there is room for them. :)

8. Geno

Geno Member

I recently built a 5 x 10 layout for my nieces in Oregon. I didn't have enough time to do scenery, but it's fully operational and will be able to run two trains simultaneously (when my nieces get their second XMas present :) ).

geno_rojas' slideshow on Flickr

9. Brutus

Brutus Member

Cool, Geno! Can you post the track plan?

Here's an idea for that pretzel - added a double reverse loop:

10. kpolak

kpolak Member

Nicely done Brutus!
  11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

And there's still room for a couple of sidings...!!!
  12. Brutus

Brutus Member

Thanks Kurt!

I think there's room for a couple short sidings, Steamhead, but it's getting close to not having much room for the scenery - If you put a sawmill on there for instance, a coaling station or loader, a couple houses, it will be full!
    Assuming this is a carpet runner, then it could be made a few feet wider and leave room for several industries and sidings, or even a 2nd mainline and a station???
  13. Geno

Geno Member

I'll work on it- my original track plan was a variation of what I built, and only allowed one train to operate on it at a time. The layout as built allows two trains to be run on it at the same time.

IMO there is too much track on it, but my nieces were more than happy with the design and the layout does belong to them.

14. Brutus

Brutus Member

Thanks, looks great to me! Sometimes non-track area is overemphasized -- we are here to play with the trains, right!?! :lol:
  15. cnw1995

cnw1995 Member

Dang, that's a great design, Brutus. :)
  16. Brutus

Brutus Member