First train ride in the US

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Today I booked my first train ride in the USA. 52 years old and have never rode a US train. I have been on the ICE train in germany from frankfurt to munich and many trains around germany but never in the US. I am going from kansas to wisconsin and looked at flying (the norm) and decided to look at amtrak. About the same price and about 8 hours longer. Im thinking the 8 hours should be a great 8 hours on the ground taking in the sites. Now I need to upgrade the digital camera to get some good pics.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
That sounds like a fun trip. My dream vacation is to do a loop up through Canada on the Canadian, down the West coast on the Cascades and back through the heartland all by train. Sigh...some day.
Have fun and let us know how it went.:)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Sounds like alot of fun,enjoy the trip!

They're talking about openening up a line from Duluth to Minneapolis again which would be way cool.There hasn't been one since Amtrak left over twenty years ago,it would be cheaper then flying and faster and much more fun then the bus.

It's not for sure yet,but there's alot of support for it here and the Twin Cities so hopefully it gets done.They don't know if it will involve Amtrak or a private Co. yet.

Again,enjoy the trip!

Chris

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Ralph said:
I'd love to train from the Twin Cities to Duluth! I moved up here the year they discontinued service and missed it!
Ralph

Me too!I'd love to be able to hop a train down there and spend a weekend in the Cities.

I actually have taken a train down there a long time ago to visit my Grandparents and Como Park with my father.I was about 5 so I don't have a clear memory of it,but I remember bits of it.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2006/12/11/duluthrail/

Chris

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
ok cred and ralph I gots to do some ribben here.I just realized you are both in MN. My best trip to wisconsin ever was when I booked with orbits or one of them discount sites. Ok , Its dec 24 2004 and I find out my flight is during the packers/ vikings game. Dang im going to miss the game. Wait I fly from kansas city to the twin cities with a one hour layover, great I can catch part of the game. WAIT there is bad weather in the south east and I will have to spend 2 hours in the twin cities because of delays. OK run to the bar and check on the game, man its purple in there. Me and one other packer fan we where out numbered, but we had #4 on our side , yep brett favre. UMMMMM can you guess who one. Just having fun you two ok

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
rogerw said:
ok cred and ralph I gots to do some ribben here.I just realized you are both in MN. My best trip to wisconsin ever was when I booked with orbits or one of them discount sites. Ok , Its dec 24 2004 and I find out my flight is during the packers/ vikings game. Dang im going to miss the game. Wait I fly from kansas city to the twin cities with a one hour layover, great I can catch part of the game. WAIT there is bad weather in the south east and I will have to spend 2 hours in the twin cities because of delays. OK run to the bar and check on the game, man its purple in there. Me and one other packer fan we where out numbered, but we had #4 on our side , yep brett favre. UMMMMM can you guess who one. Just having fun you two ok

sign1

You know,being from MN it is burned into our phsyce from birth to hate the Packers and I do,I REALLY do.That being said,I have a ton of respect for that organization and especially for Favre.I hate to admit it,but I like the guy and it makes me shudder to think what he could have done with Moss on the outside and Smith in the backfield!

I hope you were treated O.K. here and you experienced "Minnesota nice" while on your layover.

Chris

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Oh everybody was real nice and the packer /vikings rival is allways fun bud. Man I cant wait for football to start up again. There was talk of brett wanting moss to come play in greenbay but not sure if it was lagit. Wouldnt that be funny after showing the packers fans his behind he would play for them. But im sure its all about the money.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Bah,they should have kept Javon Walker.Moss is on the downside of his career and he whines and takes more plays off then he did with the Vikings,if that's possible.Although I'd have to think if anyone can get the most out of him it would be Favre.Maybe he can make the moon a tradition like the Lambeau Leap,just need a catchy phrase attached to it:).

Chris