First-Time Card Model Builder

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by PakMan, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PakMan

PakMan New Member

Hello, everyone!

I have to admit to being completely new to card model building. In fact, I'd never even heard of it until I just happened to stumble across!

Quite frankly, I was completely amazed: I had absolutely no idea you could do such incredible things with nothing more than paper, cardstock, and a few odds and ends! I think I spent the next two or three nights doing nothing but poking through,, and a couple of other sites.

I have a lot of model-building experience from more years back than I'd like to admit: I built plastic models from when I was maybe seven or so all the way through college, then I decided to set aside my boyhood things (which in retrospect was a big mistake). And that was a long time ago (ahem).

But, after seeing the fantastic work you all have done, I decided I had to give card model building a go. My main, but not sole, interest is in WW-II armored vehicles, so I kind of jumped in with both feet: I downloaded the M5A1 Stuart kit from the Konradus site, and also ordered the Panther Ausf. G by GPM and the King Tiger (Henschel turret) by Modelik. I figured that by the time I finish hacking the Stuart and Panther to pieces the King Tiger might turn out reasonably well! LOL

I have to say that, even though I'm a treadhead at heart, I'm also looking forward to getting into some of the other kinds of models I used to build: military ships and aircraft. One particular thing I'd like to build someday would be a nice model of the WW-II Schnellboot (with armored bridge). But that's for later!

Anyway, I hope to post my progress on my first project, the M5A1 Stuart, in the armored vehicle forum. Until then, thank you all for the great information you've got on this site and getting me interested in model-building again!

- Mike
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Welcome to the best way to model ever!.............. That's exactly the same way I found out about it.

Have fun building...........
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Mike! Glad you found us!

You really are jumping in with both feet starting out with tanks!
    I sure hope you do not get discouraged by the complexity of those models.
    I know you have years of modeling experience but paper and card comes with a myriad of techniques to master as it is quite a different medium compared to plastic. Nothing difficult, just different than other mediums.
    I am really looking forward to seeing some of your models and once again, welcome to the forum.
    If you ever need any info, just ask.
    There are a lot of very friendly people here who just love to help out others with this wonderful and widely diverse hobby.
    I look forward to seeing you around the forum!
    Cheers mate!

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome aboard! Glad you found us :) its really a great place to check out :D my suggestion for tanks - spread doing the treads throughout the build - if you do them all at once you will be crosseyed for life! ;)
  5. PakMan

PakMan New Member

LOL! yeah, i read some of the comments folks made about the track segments and how agonizing they can be. i had already decided that i'll try to build some in between other pieces so i don't go nuts - build some links, then "reward" myself with building another major piece of the model.

and there's definitely a ton of stuff i need to learn, but that's a big part of the fun of this as a new hobby. i'm starting the M5 Stuart project as a "training" build so i can learn some of the techniques i need as i go (with frequent searches on the board here). i've actually got the hull support structure done already - it went together really quickly after cutting out the parts! next i'll do some track links... :)

as far as the patience part of it goes, i think i have that - well, mostly! i've got everything on a cutting mat that i just plop on the table when i have some free time and work on it for a while, then put it away when i'm done.

so, again, thanks for the welcome and i'll post my progress on the Stuart soon!

6. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Welcome Mike,

It is nice to have another track layer join the hobby. You have picked some good models that rank in the moderate to advanced build category. The M5 Stuart is one of the better Armor models available and will test you skills. If you have any questions just ask all of the modelers here are more then willing to help out.

Don’t forget to post some photos of your builds, I for one would like to see that M3 built.

The Panzermuseum is a great site I’ve got it booked marked.

Jim Nunn
  7. josve

josve Active Member

A warm welcome to the papermania Mike!!
  8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Mike!!!!
    I'm quite impressed that you are building the M5 Stuart as a first build. Your fearless approach may be the best way to jump right in and master cardmodeling.

In case you are interested, here is my favorite free cardmodel thumblink site. From this site you can find thousands of free downloads.

Don't be afraid to post pics of your builds and by all means, don't be afraid to build them tiny!!!
  9. PakMan

PakMan New Member

woodengraver -

argghhh! i can't even imagine building a small- (or tiny-) scale model! my poor eyeballs are having enough trouble with 1:25 scale!

seriously, i do need to find something better to see with - i wear glasses and am into that just-over-40-losing-my-focal-length thing: to see the darn smaller parts well enough, i have to take off my glasses and lean in close, which then kills my neck. ya just can't win...

getting old sucks! :grin:
  10. sforbes

sforbes New Member

You may want to invest in a magnifying glass. I know that they make versions for hobbiest that include a stand so you can position it how you need. I also find that it helps to use a very bright light to help cut those very fine lines. Being new here myself I found they have an excellent section on tips to make this easier!

11. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

getting old

I just got my first pair of bifocals... Getting old is great (considering the alternative).

I find that I need a lot more light to see small pieces.
  12. Darwin

Darwin Member

I'm not too vain to admit it...the best purchase I've made lately is one of those swing-arm-mounted, lighted magnifying glasses.
  13. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

I have one of those light/magnifiers, too. It works great! I also sometimes use those magnifyer lenses that fit on your head and can be tilted up out of the way when not needed. They work well with my eyeglasses which I need to see up close. Welcome to the forum PaKman, this is a fun and informative place to hang out! Post pics of your builds when you can!:)
  14. cbg

cbg Member

howdy from Indiana

Welcome to the forum, Mike. You may wish to check the download links here for a nice T-34 and PzKpfw IV from ICM Paper Modeling.

Nobi, one of this forum's active contributing model designers has a couple of projects for treadheads such as yourself, two of which are free. Check out here

See you on the forum.

15. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hi, Mike

Welcome to card modeling!

About being near-sighted: :roll:

Check out Larry Marshall's and my posts about Optivisors in the forum on Tips and Techniques, Tools for Getting Started. Using mine, I no longer have to stand up and put the newspaper on the floor to read it!

Lots of other good stuff in there for newbies.

I've got to admire someone who starts out building targets for us airplane people!:grin:

16. PakMan

PakMan New Member

bob -

hey! tanks are cool, no matter what you wingnuts may think! :grin:

i had gone through the tips posts, but obviously missed the bit about optivisors - that's a great idea! any recommendations on what diopters work well for you? and the magnifier/light is also a great idea - i might get both: the optivisor for the real small stuff, and the magnifier light for general work with more easy-to-handle stuff...

17. PakMan

PakMan New Member

cbg -

thanks for the recommendations! however, one thing that really attracted me to the paper armor models was that there is a large variety in 1/25 scale. most of the plastic models i built as a kid were 1/35 and 1/48, as the 1/25 plastic kits were so expensive (and there weren't many of them). the smaller scale paper kits have fewer parts and (theoretically!) might be somewhat easier for a noob like me, but tank models should be big! i'd build them in 1/6 scale if i could, but my wife won't let me... LOL

- mike
  18. cbg

cbg Member

@ Mike,

I hear you. . .keep in mind that part of the beauty of card modeling is the unlimited scaling opportunities one can enjoy, particularly those models that are in digital format.

since you have a thing for 1/6 scale, I imagine you'll drool over this fantastic armor diorama from the UK.

19. PakMan

PakMan New Member

OH MY GOD! that "diorama" is absolutely unbelieveable! talk about a masterpiece. i can't even imagine how many bazillion hours that must've taken to create - talk about a labor of love!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.