First screatchbuild project

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Dragon, welcome to the Gauge, the friendliest bunch of model railroaders you can find anywhere on the web! :D :D :D

Congratulations to your fine craftsmanship! This engine house will be just great when it is finished. Keep us posted with your progress.

I also looked at your other model RR pics. Could you tell us something about the construction of your kitbashed Triplex engine? It must be quite a sight to see her walking down the line with all those rods moving! :cool:

Ron

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to "The Gauge". Great work on that enginehouse. Love that Triplex too though I don't think I'd have the courage to get that close to one of my Malleys with a razorsaw.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Welcome Aboard!

Looking really great, Dragon!

I like your construction methods - nothing like the real thing. :)

What scale is that, by the way?

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Ok, for all who asked...

First, I'm modelling in HO scale. I found for logging modelling, that this offers some of the best choices, in a budget that I can afford (not to mention space requirements).

the enginehouse, so far, has been a 1.5 year project. I got inspiration from the McCabe engine house kit (from pictures of it at least), from John Allen's own scratchbuild project, and from (I believe) an RMC article (the exact one I will find and post later).
It is all built out of scale lumber, and each board is individually stained with a minwax stain stick, and the whole thing is yellow wood-glued together.
The foundation is styrene, with a "natural stone" styrene sheet overlayment. I discovered if you run the dark walnut stain stick over this, then wipe it quickly with a paper-towel, it has a nice weathering effect. ( as seen here http://www.dragonmnt.com/Pictures/Models/Foundation-1.jpg )

the triplex came from my desire for the rare and unusual locos. I loved watching the mallets and Big Boy crawl around an oval of track. All those rods moving in different directions is almost mezmerizing.
Well, my father-in-law happens to model Erie-Lackawana, and when I saw a pic of the Triplex, I fell in love. Being poor, I couldn't afford a $1000+ brass model of one, and I happened to find this Riv. Mallet for only $60 (which is why I was able to take a razor saw to it!). Another old shop had pieces of a mallet, which is where I got the second rear driver set for under the tender.

Other than cutting away the piping under the cab, the loco itself is fairly un-modified. I could put the trailing truck back on, and put a normal tender behind it, and most wouldn't even know it was changed.

My plan is to rebuild the frame I made for the tender. I was experimenting with brass construction, but I'm not happy with how it turned out.
What I'd like to get are either drawings, or high detail pictures of the undercarriage of a triplex model to work from, and I plan on scratch building a new frame from styrene.
I decided that, since this tender has a significantly higher water capacity, I needed more than a two wheel trailing truck. Again, by leaving the trailing truck on the driver set, I could easily put that set on the mallet to return it to stock. Plus, the two-wheel trailing truck and the 6 wheel tender truck just makethe back end of the model look kewl.
One other mod I plan is to grind down the pizza cutters. This thing will barely fit on code 83 track (which is going to be the mainline for my layout), and might have problems on any code 83 turnouts. Plus, it looks too toy-ish.

For your amusement, enjoyment, or inspiration, I've taken a few more pics of the triplex, plus some of the old Mantua 2-6-6-2 I've rebuilt, and posted them here:

http://www.dragonmnt.com/steam.html

once the enginehouse is completed, I plan on displaying it at a local railroad museum while I construct my layout. He's had numerous model displays (and in fact has a HUGE HO scale layout) and has already expressed interest in displaying this once it is ready.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Michael and welcome to the gauge.
Very nice looking Engine House you are scratchbuilding.

Shamus

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Originally posted by Dragon
Oh, I forgot one thing.
Anyone have any good ideas for windows?
I discovered after building the walls, that there aren't any Grandt Line castings to fit my openings.

Michael,

Here's an idea for you to try - I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to, maybe you could be a pioneer. :)

Try using 1/32" x 1/32" basswood strips (2 3/4" in HO scale) and make the window frames yourself. (You've gone to great lengths in the rest of your structure, I don't think you would be daunted by this prospect.) Then, you can cut out small squares of transparency sheets and using some strong spray adhesive, spray the back side of the window frame, then place the "glass" on top of it. Do this for two sections, and have one be the top (immobile) part of the window, and the one more recessed inside be the part that lifts open.

The idea is similar to the laser cut cuts, except you make your own frames. I think this could work great for you, and would love to see it tried. :)

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
That sounds like a good idea. The only part that I would change is that the windows are going to swing open like industrial windows (pivoting at the center horizontally) and have two "parts" per opening.
I'm also thinking of using microscope slide covers for the glass. It's extremely thin and would look more realistic.

Michael