First scratchbuild on the new layout

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by edburchell, Apr 27, 2006.

1. edburchell

edburchell New Member

One industry on my new layout is a small harbour with enough space for a single merchant freighter. So, my first project is to build a freighter to go in the harbour. So far I have layered 1/4" cardboard in wafers to make the hull and added cereal cardstock to the sides to make the smooth finish. It's not based on any prototype but it measures a scale 172 feet long and 28 feet wide. I'll attach pics tomorrow when I can take them with my digital camera along with some kind of trackplan shot and where the ship will sit. I did scratchbuild a Maersk Lines container ship all from cardstock, and I sent it back to BC to a friend to use on his layout when I moved. Although slightly smaller then the giant container ship, this merchant freighter should prove challenging, especially since I am scratchbuilding everything. More to come tomorrow.
  2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave:sounds like a neat project awating pics :)
  3. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Cool! Looking forward to pics! Welcome aboard!
  4. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Looking forward to it!
  5. Sunburn

Sunburn Member

Looking forward to seeing some pics...

I had some (crack) pipe dream about putting in a pier with a FFG-7, until I realized the ship would be about 3 ft in N, cigarettes or RHIBs sound much more attractive now. I am still entertaining ideas about a modern motor lifeboat.
    Good news is the basement is almost finished. fix a leak or two and paint the floor, and up goes the benchwork. 1 lionel layout (for my youngest to grow into), 1 HO layout (for my 5 year old to grow into), and an N scale layout (for me to grow into).:thumb: