First scratchbuild on the new layout

edburchell

Apr 24, 2006
One industry on my new layout is a small harbour with enough space for a single merchant freighter. So, my first project is to build a freighter to go in the harbour. So far I have layered 1/4" cardboard in wafers to make the hull and added cereal cardstock to the sides to make the smooth finish. It's not based on any prototype but it measures a scale 172 feet long and 28 feet wide. I'll attach pics tomorrow when I can take them with my digital camera along with some kind of trackplan shot and where the ship will sit. I did scratchbuild a Maersk Lines container ship all from cardstock, and I sent it back to BC to a friend to use on his layout when I moved. Although slightly smaller then the giant container ship, this merchant freighter should prove challenging, especially since I am scratchbuilding everything. More to come tomorrow.

Sunburn

Jun 24, 2005
Minnesota
Looking forward to seeing some pics...

I had some (crack) pipe dream about putting in a pier with a FFG-7, until I realized the ship would be about 3 ft in N scale....wow, cigarettes or RHIBs sound much more attractive now. I am still entertaining ideas about a modern motor lifeboat.
Good news is the basement is almost finished. fix a leak or two and paint the floor, and up goes the benchwork. 1 lionel layout (for my youngest to grow into), 1 HO layout (for my 5 year old to grow into), and an N scale layout (for me to grow into).:thumb: