First Project

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
Hi,
I have been wanting a 0-4-0 porter for my layout for some time now. I have not been able to find one on the internet in HO scale, all I have found were some in HOn3 and On3. My logging and mining layout has to have one of these!
I have concluded that I am going to have to scratch build one. This is my first scratch build and I need help! Like were would I get the driver wheels? What kind of motor do i need? Can I kit mingle a train to get the motor or driver wheels? How can I make the boiler, the cab. I need help from you more experianced modelers!
Port1.jpg

N

nachoman

i'd use styrene to make most of the superstructure. It is wasy to work with, relatively cheap, can be made to look like almost any material. I've used brass before, and cutting, filing, and soldering brass is not as wasy as cutting, filing, and glueing styrene. As for drivers... It is going to be hard to find anything less than about 50" for HO scale. My suggestion would be to take a 0-4-0 mechanism, and build a new superstructure for it. Potential 0-4-0 mechanisms: life-like old-time teakettle, an old mantua, maybe a bachmann On30 porter mechanism would work.

kevin

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
Thanks for the advice Kevin, but what do you mean by " build a new superstructure". Sorry, but i am totally new to scratch building. Do you mean re-position the driver wheels? I going to take your advice on the styrene, but what would I use for the boiler? I found a model that might suit well for the driver wheels and motor. It's a Life-Like 0-4-0 Dockside. Here's a picture of it.
fd_1_b.JPG

N

nachoman

I mean, steal the frame, wheels, motor from another loco, then build a new boiler and cab to sit atop it. They sell styrene tubing at hobby stores that can be used to make small boilers, larger ones can be made from PVC pipe (assuming you can get the size you want). Rivets can be embossed onto thin styrene or brass sheet, then wrapped around the boilet to make the smokebox. Have a look at this thread: it's HOn30, but it should give you ideas.

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=6584&page=1&pp=15

kevin

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
Thank you soooooooo much for all the help. I highly needed it. I should be starting to build it pretty soon. I will post my progress as I go.

Sincerely,
Bryan

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
what do you mean by " build a new superstructure".

He means, make the lifelike 0-4-0T, look like the porter photo you posted. :D
"superstructure" refers to the boiler,cab,domes etc.

You have your starting point, and a picture of the final product, now you have to figure out how to get from beginning to end. That's where the fun is! Start with the frame, drivers, and motor as they are.
You'll have to change out the cylinders (probably build new ones from styrene), and get the "mechanism" running smoothly. Then, you should be able to use parts of the lifelike boiler/tank, and the smokebox front, to come up with the porter boiler etc. You'll have to find, or scratchbuild a new cab.
Pete

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
The reason you can't find one in HO (standard gauge), is because the old Porter is a narrow gauge loco (HOn3, HOn30, On30, etc.). The standard gauge equivelent 0-4-0T exists in HO and you have pictured it in post#3. If you try to build the narrow gauge 0-4-0T Porter in standard gauge, in HO, it will never look "right". That doesn't mean you can't capture the spirit of the old NG Porter in a freelanced HO lokey. Yup, grab a new HO 0-4-0 at your LHS, trainworld.com, or wherever, or a used one elsewhere, rip the body off and toss it in the scrap box, then build a scratch body out of plastic, brass, or whatever suits your fancy. Yeeha! Fun stuff! Hint: build a cab out of weathered basswood stripwood, and you'll be 90% there.

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone. I feel a lot more safe and confident to start this project. It looks a little easier than I thought it would be.

Cascademan

P.S. the Porter picture is a old Sierra West Scale model out of production. I don't know what im going to do with that spare 0-4-0 body!