First Progress Photos

Well, here are a couple of snap-shots of my non-Archer Etchant "rust." It perhaps isn't as realistic as using etchant, but it's safer... maybe:rolleyes:

I paint the roofing with Floquil Foundation and Earth. Then I paint a "slurry" of alcohol and ground chalks over that.

Attachments

• pict0021w.jpg
    pict0021w.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 69

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by Casey Feedwater

....I have decided... to go with corrugated roofing on the main portion of the structure and weathered tarpaper on the addition....

If you model the southern U.S., these are two types of roofing that are very prevalent...

Casey,
I can only dream of attaining that look you get in your modeling!

Here's one of my "metal" roofs...(styrene)
For the "rust", I dry-brushed with Polly Scale acrylics...(Roof Brown & Dirt)

Attachments

• mvc-023f.jpg
    mvc-023f.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 56

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Just thought I'd pass it along that India Ink (Higgins Brand) is available in a number of colors. That might be interesting for making stains to simulate faded painted wood.

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Secret recipe!!

Thanks for the secret recipe's Casey, that is a really good Idea.I head no Idea that you would soak them for hours, but it makes sense!! I always paint as much as I can prior to glueing as well, then just touch up a bit afterwards.

Vic, thanks for the info on the different India inks,, I'll have to look for that.

And yes, Shamus, it looks like you just pulled it out of the drink, and it's going to rust away!!

Drew