First post from a newbie

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tyson,

Thanks, I will go through them and post one or two. They are printed about once a month and I started about a year ago doing this. Just give me a few days to get a little more acclimated to being here and I'll be glad to do that.

BTW, I am really starting to feel at home here, I just have to peruse around a bit more. You have to admit there's a lot of territory here to see. I have yet to go into any of the other sections, and I have a bunch of threads to look through in this section as well.

Don

W

Warbonnet-Fan

Don, your engineering background (electrical, not choo-choo) shows in your approach...he may be a newbie to N, guys, but he's taking a very methodical approach to getting started, asking lots of questions and thinking things through!

I live within a hour of Don, so we desert rats have had a chance to shoot the bull a bit...he has the know-how to build some of the most beautiful control panels you'll find in the hobby, and he really knows electronics. Glad to have you in N!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome Verne (Warbonnet-Fan) Niner

Originally posted by Warbonnet-Fan
I live within a hour of Don, so we desert rats have had a chance to shoot the bull a bit...he has the know-how to build some of the most beautiful control panels you'll find in the hobby, and he really knows electronics. Glad to have you in N!
Gee Verne, gooolllyyyyyy. First of all, I want to be the first to welcome you to The Gauge. You may be a newbie (your words, not mine) here, but one with well over 40 years in MRR. Second, what I know about electronics can't hold a candle to what you know about railroading so let's give credit where credit is due.:D

I was thrilled to be able to BS and to see the layout featured in N Scale Railroading Magazine this month. I was so full of questions that we never really had time to run trains. Next time for sure:) I can't say enough good things about your layout, outstanding detail.

I'm sure everyone else will be as pleased as I am to see you here. Now that you've found The Gauge, don't be a stranger.

D :cool: N

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
It's really great to have you aboard, Verne!
I have that issue of NSRR, (my favorite mag these days!) & that looks like one spectacular layout!
This is really cool having another person from the published MRR press as a member here! (& an N scaler, to boot! :) )
I know that all of us will benefit from your expertise!
Welcome aboard! :)

W

Warbonnet-Fan

Many thanks

Thanks guys, this is a very friendly forum from what I've obsserved!

Tyson, the photo you post below your name is terrific, is it posted full-size somewhere on the forum? It feels like a lazy afternoon in the holler!

Charlie, thanks for your kind comments...it was a fun article to put together. I noticed you and Tyson hold deputy and chief 'flunky' titles...is there a flunky initiation for the forum here? :D

- Verne

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah Verne, there is a bigger one somewhere, don't ask me where :D . It is a little mix of my layout and real life. The foreground and the closest trees in the background are on my layout. The trees in the background are from a picture I took around the corner from here and scaled to fit. The layout is n-scale and here is a bigger version. Thanks for asking! :) Don't know about a flunky initiation, I was born a flunky :D :D , just wish I could say I was smart enough to be a self-made one! Thanks for the promotion from head to chief flunky, don't know what I did to deserve it, but I'll take it! :D :D :D

Attachments

• deep in.jpg
    deep in.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 79
W

Warbonnet-Fan

Thanks Tyson, that's a remarkable photo...the effect of the trees on the ridges, with the haze increasing in the background, is terrific! I love long-hood running, makes me miss the trips my wife and I used to take in the late '80s to see the NS steam excursions in Virginia and Georgia.

You've really captured the feel of the area, the photo has just tons of character.

- Verne

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah, the Southern had a practice of running long hood forward, had several people ask why I was running the engines backwards! :D Thanks for the kind words, thought I'd post this railfan shot of the long hood forwards, n-joy! :) Looking forward to pics of your layout. I live in a area where that magazine is not available as a lot of em' are not :( . The only hobby shops near here carry MR, RMC and a couple of O-Scale mags and nothing else!

Attachments

• southern clearing big ridge tunnel.jpg
    southern clearing big ridge tunnel.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 75

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Re: Many thanks

Originally posted by Warbonnet-Fan
Charlie ....I noticed you and Tyson hold deputy and chief 'flunky' titles...is there a flunky initiation for the forum here? :D ....

Initiation? Naaaa...I just kinda deputized myself, because I'm such a big fan of Tyson's modeling & his RR! :)
Actually, I never even asked his permission...I hope he doesn't mind a deputy tagging along with him all the time! :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
No, my friend...after realizing the effort that goes into making all these trees, there's no doubt in my mind who the top dawg...er...I mean, "flunky" is around here...:D ;) :p :D

(But hey...I'll take whatever job involves the least paperwork!:D :D :D )

W

Warbonnet-Fan

Originally posted by aartwmich
Welcome Verne..this IS the friendliest forum, on ANY topic, that I've ever seen...glad you can join us.

Tyson, that pic is awesome.

These guys are good!

WTH is a flunky anyway?

This IS a friendly place, and yes, these guys are GOOD. Not only great pictures and info., but extremely modest flunkies!

Tyson, I'm sure I've been at that spot by the tunnel...

;)

PS - any openings for a flunky-in-training?