First Pictures

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by w8jy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. w8jy

w8jy Member

My friends from the chat room have been after me to post some pictures of my layout. So, I spent the morning with the camera.
    First, the legal disclaimer: the poster of these pictures assumes no liability for any injuries caused by excessive laughter.
    Now with that out of the way, the first pic is of the overall layout. It is N scale and is 4 X 8 feet, mounted on heavy casters so it is easily moveable. Continuous loops were necessary for the grandson's benefit. The next project is to remove the inside track just below the reverse loop to provide a better yard and more sidings for the industry going there.
    IMG_1271 copy.jpg

The second picture is a little better view of the only part of the layout that is even semi-finished. No, that isn't tornado damage, some of the buildings are just piled there.
    IMG_1279 copy.jpg

This is another shot of the semi-completed part of the layout.
    IMG_1269 copy.jpg

There is still way too much blue foam showing, so there is enough work to do to keep me busy for a while. I am still a rookie at this, but if a person learns from their mistakes, I am well on my way to becoming well educated!

Attached Files:

2. PWRR-2207

PWRR-2207 Rogue Islander

Casters - Good idea! I like the tunnel rocks too. Blue foam... Yeah, it seems to move the paint off itself on my 'under construction' areas too but at least it does not make as much of a mess or smell as bad as the old homasote I finally got rid of while converting to DCC.
  3. w8jy

w8jy Member

More pictures

I purposely have not installed the backdrop yet, to make it easier to work on the back side of the layout.

I recently decided that since this layout is anything but prototypical, I should convert to a freelance line. So, the Arenac & Southern came into existence.

The first shot shows a Consolidation with the old style logo (pre-1938). The camera shows some discoloration on the tender that you really don't see with the naked eye. Now I have to decide whether weathering will cover that or if I need to do a re-paint. Sorry for the fact it is slightly out of focus - I was too lazy to go back to the house to get a macro lens.

The second shot is a VO-1000 (the only diesel I own) with the new livery that the RR started using in 1938. Again, the camera has a better eye than I do, so one decal will have to be removed and replaced (it originally looked straight to me)!

I did learn a few things from this exercise - I need to enhance the lighting, and a macro lens should give me better closeups. At least that gives me something to do next week!

Attached Files:

4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looking good Jess!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Re the decals - it was my thought that the long version be used only on tenders. Black and white for freight, and red and white for passenger engines. The new logo, the A&S in the square should be the only thing on the diesel, unless you were to add a red stripe. But hey, if you like it, then it's all good! :D

5. jesso

jesso Member

Nice pictures! Your tunnel looks good. I like continuous loops, there are times when sitting back and watching the trains just run can be very relaxing. Thanks for sharing! Keep us up to date on your progress!:thumb:
  6. w8jy

w8jy Member

Val, I think I agree with you - I have to take the decals off the diesel anyway, so I think I will center the logo on the side. A red stripe might look good - I will do a little experimenting.

7. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Lemme see...

(4'x8')+ lots of track + multiple trains + grandson = FUN!

Looks like a great start to me.
  8. Ivelin

Ivelin New Member

Hello guys
    work looks great!
    and if this is your first layout - I think you are doing fine!
    Only question I've got - about that big chimney
    Should not it be connected to the building somehow?

Good luck and lot of fun with your project!
  9. w8jy

w8jy Member

Ivelin, you are right - it is just temporarily standing there, not glued down.
    I still have tons of those details to take care of - I definitely have a long winter project here.