First Pics of the layout I am working on

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
If this works, this should be my first pic of my layout I have ever shown in public. The photo was taken with an 18 Mil lens so the room is somewhat distorted in appearance. The back of the room looks about 4 feet wide, but is 7 feet wide. On the far right hand corner of the photo, you will see the wall starts juting in (for another 2 1/2 feet becoming 9 1/2 wide) into my nolix area.

The idea of this photo is to show the Faller's backdrop I used, two different scenes that fits right into the BC landscape here in Canada, but of course, is really somewhere in Europe.

In the bottom scene, I have the backdrop - on hardboard - standing out from the wall about 4 inches; on the top, the backdrop, still on hard board is attached to the walls directly.

Also the L brackets you see on the wall jutting out are home made jobbies I did with rather thick MDF.

So the layout pictured here is larger than it looks, but its still in a small room. The piece on the left that will house a reversing loop is 10 feet long; in the pic it looks about 6 feet long.

layout5.jpg

layout4.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Wow!
Nice looking layout Rick!:cool:
The backdrop looks great!
How is that upper-level benchwork supported?

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Charlie,
I made my own L brackets from MDF. If you look carefully you can see the bracket extending on down behind the backdrop. On the left side which will have a reversing loop as well, I will have one tall structure with a taller chimney which extends all the way to add support to that one area on the left; the remainder of the shelf layout needs no additional support.

The L brackets were made with a band saw with a curve at the intersection to give them a little more support. I used a coffee can lid to provide the curve. So the L brackets are all one piece. The benchwork is all butt glued together with liquid nails and it makes it amazingly rigid without even being screwed in. In essence, I have a "floating" layout much like the floating floors you can buy that aren't attached to anything. MDF is so amazingly heavy that the benchwork top doesn't budge.

I have all the benchwork done for the upper level but because I am starting to lay track, life is easier with it off. Also I have had a number of questions about my support system so I thought I would leave the upper level off so folks could take a look at it.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
I have bought rope lighting that if "snaked" instead of put across in a line, gives good coverage....BUT....I am worried about heat (small room with people + lights = heat). So if heat becomes an issue with the rope lighting, I will replace it with flourescent lighting.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Rick. I think I have 3 pieces of that Faller backdrop somewhere. ;)
Went to a clinic on lighting and got specs for all sorts of bulbs that can be used. (well, I will when he sends me the handout).
Incandescent bulbs are great in Canadian winters, where they supplement the heating system. Fluorescents give weird colour shades unless you get special ones that give off a larger percent of the spectrum.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
David,
There are now full specturm flourescents that work quite well and don't need to be compensated for in photography. A buddy of mine took these pics and he also took pics of a mutual friends of ours layout. The chap who owns the layout only lights with full specturm flourescents; no compensation was made for the lighting and the pics turned out fine (additional lighting still had to be added to boost the room lighting to get good pics however).