First pic of my first layout

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Well it seems everyone likes to show what there working on so I'll be brave too. This is my first attempt , and likely last , at a nice scale layout. Space was a real problem so I had to abandon my large HO collection and go to N . Its all built on an old drafting table and will eventually be a SW pennsylvania scene. Its not after any location specific and I'm not following any road name rules . Just Pennsylvania RR engines kinda as if they still existed. It will eventually have a lot of tree cover , suggestions on how to do that are very welcome . Any other comments also welcome .

Thanks Johnny B

Attachments

• 2005 - 17.jpg
    2005 - 17.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 2005 - 16.jpg
    2005 - 16.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 2005 - 15.jpg
    2005 - 15.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 181

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Hey, that's cool. You got a lot of layout in that space, and I like the way you put the controls in the drawer.:thumb::thumb: Getting to the wiring should be easy as well, just lift the table top up, if you kept the original top that is. :D

Be sure to keep us updated with progress pics.:wave:

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Great looking layout Johnny, welcome to the world of N Scale, you can do alot more with N than HO.

As for trees, I will be going the cheap route. We have lots of weeds around the CN mainline here in town. Bunching them together and holding them with florist tape works out real nice. For fir trees, you can cut up those cheap green scouring pads you get at the dollar store, cut up in differing circular sizes and mounted on a wooden skewer, as from the dollar store... $2.00 worth gets you about 10-15 good sized trees. With plenty of skewers left for the next batch :D .

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Herc Driver said:
Very nice! How did you do those good looking concrete ro
ads?

That is just simple shirt box cardboard and the lines are hand painted with ceramic paint .

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Will_annand said:
Great looking layout Johnny, welcome to the world of N Scale, you can do alot more with N than HO.

As for trees, I will be going the cheap route. We have lots of weeds around the CN mainline here in town. Bunching them together and holding them with florist tape works out real nice. For fir trees, you can cut up those cheap green scouring pads you get at the dollar store, cut up in differing circular sizes and mounted on a wooden skewer, as from the dollar store... $2.00 worth gets you about 10-15 good sized trees. With plenty of skewers left for the next batch :D .

can you show some pictures of how you do that ?

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Will_annand said:

can you show some pictures of how you do that ?

SLOW211

Oct 31, 2005
My wife asked me what inspired me to do this.
I was nine years of age , Thifty Years AGO!!!
and it was Christmas !! MAXIMS Departmen store Had this Train set , it was small , but cool!! MOM I WONT THIS !!!
I toled her about twentwenty Times!! Drove Her Nuts !!!
Two weeks Later ?
well she went shopen , came home with all the Presents!
and put them all in the closet ! to hide !! Over Clothes !!
Back in 1968! I was a Bad BOY!! I had To looked !!
I looked , in there ! Yep , a N gage Traine Set , starter set !!

Santa Fea , 23. 98 $ i Coulden sleep Fore two i n a Half WEEKS!! when it was time time to git the Presents !!
I Had My I eye on that BOX!!! Under the tree!!!

Shame on me !! ALL BOY !!! I played With that set untill the moter Squilled , my dad said it needs oil !! My Dad Help me out!
On my First Lay out ! too!! a Oile Vile small and red!! one Drop !
Will do the Trick !! An A unit !! The back end of the truck was the drive , and I had to replace the rubberbands on the one side of the wheels!! And It was a job!!!

TO DAY !! ALL Wheels Drive , My Birthday was in Oct ,
Its Hard to finde time to runn my Trains!! My Wife bought me Five more GP Units ! Nice Too!!
Its Nice to have all all Foure Units , and fifteen cars Runnen!!
I Put four on the track , 48 Drive , Runnen Like a champ!!
I Need More cars !! and a Bigger Trans former !
It Looks so COOL!! when You see all the cars come out of the tunnel Slow !! Just like In Reall Life!!
Its nice to have a nice Wife !! that Loves trains !! Too!
I Have Ten more to oppen , One is a Bachmann, NS , Norfolk southern , NICE TOO !! the Next is an ALASKA , 3015 !! Gp
I still go in the colset !! Dose that make me a BAD BADD BOY!!! my best frend is in to Ho!! set up , nice too!
I thought that he was gonna wonta be ! TOO!
He has a Nice Set up for Ho!! Nice lay out , all works Too!!
Hes Even got the the Evilis Prisley traine!! not in the box !!
All the cars , The A Teem Traine set!! HO !!

Know I Cant Sleep Untill Christmass !
Yep I Looked in the closet !!
COOKIES AND WORM MILK WILL NOT HELP!!!
PLEASE !! I NEED HELP!!!
WHAT SHOUD I DO!!!

Slow!

Oroka

Nov 6, 2005
Port Elgin, ON
Wow, you can actually wait until Christmas? No one can buy anything for me... it I see something I like and want, I go and get it as soon as possible, be it May or December :D
I have been threatened on several occasions not to buy ANYTHING from November to the end of December!

I think I remember seeing one of those A Team train sets many many years ago.

Milk and Cookies are for the kids, Santa really wants (and proably needs) a stiff drink and a soft chair ;)

jonny b: Nice layout you have going there. I originally intended for my layout to be that size, but well... the foam sheets already come in 2'x8' sheets, and 2' is not wide enough, so two 2'x8' peices of foam is what I went with ;)

Is your tunnel completely covered and inacessable?

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Oroka said:
Wow, you can actually wait until Christmas? No one can buy anything for me... it I see something I like and want, I go and get it as soon as possible, be it May or December :D
I have been threatened on several occasions not to buy ANYTHING from November to the end of December!

I think I remember seeing one of those A Team train sets many many years ago.

Milk and Cookies are for the kids, Santa really wants (and proably needs) a stiff drink and a soft chair ;)

jonny b: Nice layout you have going there. I originally intended for my layout to be that size, but well... the foam sheets already come in 2'x8' sheets, and 2' is not wide enough, so two 2'x8' peices of foam is what I went with ;)

Is your tunnel completely covered and inacessable?

It is completely covered but is accessable from the underside.

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Ok here are a few better pictures with a little progress too .

Attachments

• 2005 - 21.jpg
    2005 - 21.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 2005 - 22.jpg
    2005 - 22.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 2005 - 23.jpg
    2005 - 23.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2005 - 24.jpg
    2005 - 24.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 38

SLOW211

Oct 31, 2005
That is SO cool!!! I really like the PA locomotive. I will post photos of mine as soon as the wife figures out how.

SLOW

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
johnny b said:
Ok here are a few better pictures with a little progress too .[/QUOTE ]

Great I look forward to seein them . The Pennsy in front will likely be replaced with a Pennsy F7 Frieght. Inner Mountian has a nice one I'm looking at. In such a small space the turns are a little tight and that engine has a little trouble with it . Occasionally jumps on me .

E]

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Those roads...

Ok, I gotta ask again...

How'd you do those road? A shirt box??? Great idea...so you hand drew (drawn, did draw, drawed) the lines? I'm assuming you cut sections then brought them together somehow...glued or some other means? Did you add curbs?

Forgive all the questions, but I've been searching for a good looking road system.