First pic -New power for the GVR

C

Catt

The GVR wanted to get some new hi horsepower diesels for hauling the longer trains that are occuring because of an influx of new business.

CEO JW (Catt) Edwards approached GMLG to fill this need for new power.Catt was pleased to find the SD80 still in the catalog and immediately orderd two of them.Here is a picture of the first one delivered.

gvrsd80a.jpg

Ok now for a reality check.This a KATO SD80 in Conrail colours.I discovered that Accupaint thinner doe a nice job of removing the letering from KATO shells.

The first time I bought this stuff one of the bottles leaked and washed off all the lettering on the bottle.This time around this didn't happen.When I got home from the LHS and sat down to create the above loco (and her sister unit and a pair of SD70MACs) I read the label.

What I had bought for almost $4.00 an oz. was nothing but acetone.:(

Yes I know it needs some detail painting and just a touch of weathering(remember we are talking NEW locos here)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I can see it Catt...
Looks like the GVR's gettin' some serious horsepower there!
Very nice!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Two SD80s, and two SD70s? Is the GVR getting ready to assimilate everything the UP didn't ? I hope someone relaeses N scale Alleghenys before we get together in Toronto next summer.
Nice looking unit!
Pete

nscalesteve

Apr 27, 2003
New Zealand
www.nscalecorner.com
Originally posted by Catt!
The GVR wanted to get some new hi horsepower diesels for hauling the longer trains that are occuring because of an influx of new business.

Catt...
...nice to see that not only YT Rail use this SD80MAC !
I have made a "batch-job" for the YT Rail (and as soon as the paintshop have some time they will paint this engines in the right YT Rail colors...) :D :D

ytr7500.jpg

C

Catt

What the heck Steve,I would leave her like she is.Looks good to me. :)

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Originally posted by SD90
Those SD90's are hard to get apart, aren't they? Both of you have done great work on them.

Mike.
Thanks! :)
Depends how much stuff you want to break in the process. The carbody itself is easy, but the cab, and glass is nearly impossible to disassemble without fragging the whole blasted thing!:mad:
I have custom-painted about 8 of these beasts, all but one are sold. I have one in process. The glass is the hardest to remove. :mad: At 5 bucks a crack, *no pun intended* you don't want to break too many!