First On16.5 (On30) locomotive!

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Work started a while ago, this will be the first model that I finish in 7mm scale.

The prototype is a 2 1/2 ton Simplex diesel. Very small locomotive, which I suppose the American modellers would refer to as a "critter". Interesting locos in that the radiator was at a right angle to the engine, and totally seperate from the bodywork.

I'm not very happy with the quality of this model, it's not up to my usual standard. The enamel didn't help, which made a quite a few nasty brushmarks that you can just about see, which lowers the overall quality of the appearance quite a lot. I imagine that can easily be solved by using a paint stripper, and then redoing the paintwork using an airbrush. Also a lack of scale drawings didn't help either, which means the frame itself is actually slightly too high. I might take the frames off and adjust them, but at the moment I'm undecided - it's not a massive discrepancy, and the only real knock-on effect is that the coupler/bumper block looks a little too tall.

But overall I don't think it's too bad. It looks alright from a distance. The loco is quite obviously incomplete, it's still needing a roof over the cab, sand boxes which were fitted just above and in front of the buffer beams (pilots), axleboxes, skid bar (little piece of flimsy tubular steel mounted under the pilots that was supposed to prevent damage in the event of a derailment, but was never strong enough to support the weight of the loco!), and radiator grille.

Not sure how this will look once all the missing detail is added and the loco is stripped and sprayed. Probably a ****load better than this piece of crap. But hey, it's a start, and I'm still adjusting to detailing the much larger surfaces that you get in O gauge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yuck! How awful it looks in these photos. Can't wait to finish the model and get some decent pictures up. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_9864.JPG
    IMG_9864.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9865.JPG
    IMG_9865.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 230