First N Layout Design

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by nolimit, Mar 14, 2006.

1. nolimit

nolimit New Member

So, I'm moving into an apartment in May. I have decided to scale down to N, but haven't got a clue about how it will all fit. I was hoping for some feedback on whether or not this design will be able to work in this space and on design in general.

Attached Files:

2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

How wide is each section? Will the layout be against a wall? Is the triangle on the inside corner part of the benchwork? What are your goals in layout design?
  3. nolimit

nolimit New Member

Oops... i guess my scanner cut off that part of the pic. Each section is 2ft wide.

The Layout will be against a wall.

The triangle portion is not part of the benchwork.

My goal for the trackwork is to be continuously running, but with some switches.
  4. Evan

Evan Member

2ft = very tight

I'm by no means an expert, but from what I see the curves will be very tight. If you left an inch off either side to prevent falling to the floor, that's only 11 inch radius. Might not be enough for longer cars, depending what you are planning on running.

5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

And then he wouldn't be able to make that inside corner so easily, if the tracks were so close to the edge. He could curve the tracks as they came away from the ends... I really think he's assuming 9-3/4" curves. Those are equivalent to 18" in HO - they will operate well, if you select your equipment carefully. If it's possible, I would suggest making the shelves wider than 2'. Not too wide, though, or they'll be hard to reach. Maybe 30".

The ladder track for the yard is also a reversing connection. If you are to have one reversing connection (quite reasonable on a layout with a stub yard), it should be usable for trains going the other way.