First Model

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by imavingalaughaswell, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ok guys i'm just moving from "paper models" to card models......i like a good challange ..i have no idea what gpm/modelik model to try first?? .......
    any ideas guys?:???: :???: :???: :???:
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member's really up to you. All the models I have built have been downloads....... I just can not bring myself to cut up a book...........I know that is what they were designed for, but My Momma would turm in her grave.....I have scanned a few, not GPM or Modelik.........sorry I'm no help:cry:

Post a picture of whatever you decide.........
  3. damraska

damraska Member

If you go with an Apache, dump the Model Fan model and build the one from Maly Modelarz (7-8/2003). It's _way_ better.

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sorry, I am not really familiar with any of these. I too have only built free models (but have my lighthouse order on the way!) Do tell us wht you have decided on though and post lots of pics! Have fun with it and good cutting!
  5. tjchung

tjchung New Member

From what I've seen of the kits, don't go for the Dragon Wagon or Leopold unless you've got about a year of free time.
  6. for all those who are voting "none of the above" ,,,, might help if you leave suggestion?
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Any or Mr Currells freebie kits; excellent design, a bit of a challange and if you mess a bit up, print another. I started with the V2 and V1.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  8. cbg

cbg Member

I'd start with the free stuff first. . .Have a look at modele kartonowe, a polish card model website and purveyor of CardPlane brand models. they have several very nice FREE downloads that are of commercial quality and a good introduction to 1/33 scale card model aircraft.

Here's their RWD-25:

Good luck and welcome aboard,
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

This is difficult to answer. I know nothing of your card/paper model skills. You say you are graduating from paper to card models. This makes no sense to me because they are the same thing basically. (my opinion).

If you are a beginner, go with the free downloads for a year or so until you are confident. All the models you listed require extensive experience and I do not recommend these to start with. This may be why others voted for " none of the above".

for free downloads try

If you know what you are doing, then my vote would be the Dragon Wagon with the M4A3 Sherman atop.
  10. ive been doing all the freely available models from the net for about 6 years ... all have been made out of paper .. my best ones were the yamaha papercraft bikes that i altered to double published size .... i cant post pics of any of my past models because they usually end up full of dust on a shelf or the cat jumps on them lol.. ive just found a source to get all the gpm/modelik etc models and they are all ,from what i can tell ,printed on paper and mounted onto different thickness of card ...... these look a bit more challenging for me and maybe if i built one i might put it in a glass case or something?
  11. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Looking at your choices it is clear that you preffer wheeled/tracked wehicles.
    If you can get those for reasonable price and you like them, get them.
    Model to start though, that's a different stroy...
    here is a nice, free model of the Stuart tank
    Look at the pages of the model and under every one of them there is a link to the .zip file of the page.
    This way you can get experience with models designed in Poland and not waste money and a good model.
  12. who said anything about spending money???
  13. damraska

damraska Member

From your poll, you seem to like armor and helicopters. Helicopters are about as difficult to build as planes. Armor models tend to be harder than planes because of the numerous small pieces and high part counts. However, every model boils down to a series of subassemblies, and if you tackle each subassembly as a model onto itself, you can eventually build even the most complex subject.

The Dragon Wagon and Leopold weigh in at about 3000 parts each. I would recommend starting on something less complex, even with your experience.

I do not know anything about the Hummer Bushmaster, M35, Mi 28, or civilian Ambulance.

You will find a buildup thread on the Hummer Ambulance here:

I own the GPM Sherman. It looks very doable, but at 1283 parts it will take effort.

I owned and sold a copy of the Model Fan Apache--looked iffy. The Maly Modelarz Apache (7-8/2003) is _way_ better (better graphics, more detail), but a little more complex. It has good overall fit, but the cockpit takes some work to get just right.

You might also consider building an armored car. They are essentially tanks without the tracks and complex drive assemblies.

So...given that you like armor and helicopters, that you have quite a bit of experience building free models, and that you want to build a commercial model, I would recommend one of the helicopters to wet your feet, or perhaps an armored car. Whatever you choose, scan the model before you start so that you have a backup. Before you scan a page, draw a ruler on the edge. That way, if you do reprint, you can confirm that it printed at the correct size.

14. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

He said he WANTED a challenge...go for the Dragon Wagon, I would LOVE to see it!