First Model - Coastal Freighter Emiliana 1:250

redhorse

Dec 28, 2007
McKinney, TX
I've been enjoying this site for a while now and figured I should contribute something as well.

Last year I sold almost all of my plastic and quite a bit of my model railroad stuff on eBay in order to buy a sail boat and some casting machinery. I discovered paper model kits on eBay while doing that. Naturally, I had to buy a couple since I started getting the modeling bug again while going through my old kits. My pile continues to grow :cry:

This is my first model, which I downloaded from this site - Coastal Freighter Emiliana

I didn't want to cut up anything I'd bought yet, so I figured one of these free downloads would be a good starting point.

I didn't take pictures while I was building this one, but it is a very nice little kit. His instructions were very clear and detailed which helped a lot for my first one.

My attempt isn't perfect, but it was really a lot of fun. I used bristol board and regular typing paper for printing and water color pencils for edge shading. I wasn't crazy about the pencils and I'm trying markers now...

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the completed ship...

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 62
P

paulhbell

Your saying it's not perfect, I think you should look at it again. It looks excellent, youv'e done railings on your first build, thats a big plus for a start. It's a very clean build don't knock yourself.

exzealot

Jul 3, 2007
Lake Orion, MI
This is really nice! There are plenty of experienced paper modelers that have yet to master rigging and railings. Based on how this came out, you can go ahead and start cutting on the purchased models.

Well done!

Ken

redhorse

Dec 28, 2007
McKinney, TX
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments! I do plan on posting more models, I think I'll try a build thread next...

outersketcher - the pulleys actually are paper. There are templates that come with the kit and you glue a small disk to the pulley part of the template. Then thread is wrapped around the disk and the whole thing is saturated in super glue. It works pretty well so I think I'll try it on some future builds.

B

Bionic Modeler

Nice work. I built the yellow version of this one. But, your eyes are better than mine. I couldn't use the pullys that came with the kit as they were too small. So I just punched out some small pieces and cut the sides off a little then glued a round one in between. I would like to see some close ups of yours though. Kudo's to you for making them work. Byt the way nice work on the anchor winch that was a challenge.

redhorse

Dec 28, 2007
McKinney, TX
Here are a few more detail shots, I'll have to figure out how to get better focus on some of these closeups. I know I've got a camera book around here somewhere!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31

logicman

Greybeard
Apr 30, 2008
Kent, UK.
That's a lovely ship and a great build.:thumb:

I fully concur with what has been said about your skills in acheiving realistic railings and rigging, especially for a first build.

:wave:

carapace

Dec 9, 2007
Port Townsend WA, USA
Thanks for the pictures

I finally got to see your pictures of the Emiliana. Way cool. I am the Emiliana's designer and love seeing pictures of her builds. Thanks for posting them.

If anyone else has built the Emiliana, please send me (or post) some pictures. Thanks

redhorse

Dec 28, 2007
McKinney, TX
I finally got to see your pictures of the Emiliana. Way cool. I am the Emiliana's designer and love seeing pictures of her builds. Thanks for posting them.

If anyone else has built the Emiliana, please send me (or post) some pictures. Thanks

Wow, I built this quite a while ago! I haven't been to Zealot that much for probably around a year or so now.

Thanks for the kit!! It was a great introduction to paper modeling and builds into a beautiful model. I learned a lot from her and your instructions have been about the best I've found for any kit.

jpm1066

Jun 21, 2010
sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know where i can find this ship. The link is dead now.