First layout

C

Catt

This link is my first layout after a 20 year sabbatical from the hobby. Any comments, besides "that really su***" would be appreciated. BVRR progress

Ok,my comments

1 Welcome to the Gauge.Glad you joined us.:)

2 I like it,Looks like a lot of fun.

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
The overall layout looks nice.

These are not criticisms, but observations & questions. What are era and theme are you modeling? What type of control system are you planning on using? Is the layout on an island so that you have all around access? If not and it is against a wall, you will have a long reach.

The plan looks OK if you enjoy just watching the trains run, but it seems as if operational possibilities are limited. You do have a large yard and engine facility that would lend itself to being an origin/destination. I do not see any spurs where industries would be located. Without knowing what you are going for, it is difficult to offer anything else.

I'm not nitpicking, just asking questions to see what you are planning.

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge and welcome back into the hobby. The layout looks interesting and my guess is that you like to watch trains run.
If it was me, I would add another siding and some spurs for industries, being that I am an operations kind of guy.:D
BTW, what are you using for a trackplaning program? It looks interesting.:cool:
Cheers!

Terry

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I would also welcome you aboard and duplicate the feelings of the two gents in front of me by saying that I think you will get bored watching the trains go round and round. My only other comment would be that an investment in a tripod or another means to anchor your camera would result in clearer photos for your website.Like everyone told me in the beginning lets remember to have FUN .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by CNWfan
This link is my first layout after a 20 year sabbatical from the hobby. Any comments, besides "that really su***" would be appreciated. BVRR progress :confused:
Welcome, I'm also working on my first layout, no 20 year sabbatical though, just my first layout ever. You'll find a lot of good tips, help, pictures and a bunch of friendly folks here.

Don

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I Like It!! It certainly has a good long mainline run and you do have alot of room for adding additional spurs for industries if you like switching and operations.If you do go in for operations,the need for additional spurs will become apparent.Also you may want to consider an arrival departure track arrangement from the tuntable.This gives the ability to turn an engine and run it through a Service track without clogging the turntable.If you will be running steam and diesels a third track could even be utilized.1 for servicing Steam,the Other for Diesels.It certainly is large enough that potential operations could Include Several Operators and even a Dispatcher.

If you want to just show Off Motive Power and Watch Trains Run then the amount of area for scenicking is Great.Of course I'm thinking your going to need alot of Trees :D

CNWfan

May 14, 2003
Chicago area
home.comcast.net