first layout thoughts

CSXFan

well friends i have almost gotten to the scenery portion of building my layout and i just wanted to share some thoughts i've had while reflecting on the experience. model railroading is my favorite hobby, but it is also the most frustrating. during the construction many thoughts came into my head. countless times i tried to hold back swearing because the roadbed and track didn't line up the way i wanted it to. i discovered that soldering is harder than it looks. and track wiring is my least favorite portion of the hobby. i hope the finished product makes up for the frustration.

Tyson Rayles

If it makes you feel any better soldering and wiring are at the bottom of my list too. Just take your time, don't be afraid to make changes if they are needed (most of us have redone alot more then we like to admit :D ) and things will turn out fine! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! :D

rockislandmike

Huh. I kinda like the wiring bit now, actually. It's like a big analytical puzzle, and I love those. Now that I have a crimping tool, it's quite enjoyable, as it makes quick work of the annoying parts.

I dual-cabbed my layout yesterday in about an hour..............just waiting for the second power pack from Walthers to come later this week or next............

Sir_Prize

Don't fret it to much. We each have our low and highs of skill. Plus... "The artist always sees the flaws in his work. If they don't they ain't an artist."
Least that's how I feel.
Haven't got that far myself. May "trade out" that part to a friend. ;)

We are our own worst enemies. We know where the mistakes are where others do not. Take it one step at a time, yes it can be flustrating but it is all a learning experience. The more you do of something the better you get at it and this holds true for model railroading as well. I know myself that when things start to go wrong I unplug everything, turn the lights out and go do something else. Come back t it later and you will be surprised at the diferent perspective you have. Yes wiring can be very flustrating but I believe in the KISS method, Keep it simple stupid !! Go slow and do one thing at a time, test it, if it works fine move on. Only by practice do we become proficient at it. Remember one thing, all those layouts that you see and admire, their creators had to start at the begining also, they are a few years of practice ahead of you. Yes the outcome is worth it. Take it slow and easy and above all enjoy !! Ron.

Pooh Bah
There is no requirement that you be good at all aspects of model railroading. Of course, everyone else expects you to be good at their specialty, because it's so easy (for them). When I was starting, I wondered why they sold brass models assembled but unpainted; after all, I could assemble them myself but painting was impossible. I still have one unpainted brass locomotive (out of one bought) but a bunch of painted streetcars.
If you don't like wiring, you can minimize it, but that usually means minimizing the track. You can probably find a friend who will do soldering for you (I do it for one of my friends) or find an alternative like spiking the wire to the rails.

About specialties: I worked with a girl once who played French Horn professionally. But she taught piano. She said that the horn came so easily to her that she didn't know what the difficulties were, while piano was hard enough that she could help people.

th4sb

by all means keep it simple at first.soldering, which is very easy if you have the right tools.i my self use a 25 or 30 watt pencil iron.i use very small diameter solder i got from radio shack.your iron must be at the proper temperature to solder correctly.you have to keep the tip cleaned.when i solder i wear an opti visor.i have yet to melt any plastic ties.all of my track is soldered including the turnouts.some aspects of model building i do not like either.i realize though how inportant it is to pay special attention to trackwork and wiring.if it isnt done right your trains wont run right and you will be come discouraged.take your time and dont hurry.get your track and wiring down pat and practice soldering.it is easy once you learn how to do it.th in kansas...........