First layout on drywall

Grotto

I will soon start my first layout and I wonder if anyone has used drywall. I have lots left over from a house reno and just wanted to know if it is useful. I also have lots of ugly wall panelling from the previous owner.

Scoobie

I would think that drywall is not the best thing to use. It's not nearly as strong as plywood and would be a mess when you drill holes in it. If it cracks you would have one heck of mess also. So, I personally would not use it for a layout. You sure wouldn't want to get it wet.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Many landscaping techniques are water-based, and as Scoobie points out above - that's not a good idea. Also, drywall is fairly weak compared to other benchwork materials, and heavy. If you built really strong benchwork, I suppose you could use it for landscaping in place of foam or hardshell scenery, but that's a bit of a stretch...

Ugly wall panelling can be useful though - as facia, or even as a backdrop. If there is too much "texture" on the front, you may be able to turn it around, but some panelling has a "fibrous" backing that is hard to paint.

Andrew

jim currie

you would have to build a very closed spaced bench work or the drywall would sag but as Andrew says it could be used for some scenery like tunnel linings . what kinda of ugly panneling is it wood or masonite?

Pooh Bah
Drywall has the problem that it doesn't take nails very well, and screws need anchors or they pull out.

MissabeMike

I used drywall for the base of my current layout, and I love it, easy to work with, just need a utility knife to cut it and alot cheaper. My layout is two levels the upper is made out of 1x3's with 16" centers then drywall screwed down. I used Woodland Scenics foam roadbed, which is held down with carpenters wood glue, then the track was nailed down. The current layout has been up for 4-5 years now, no sags or any problems what so ever with it. If I ever build another layout, I WILL be using drywall.

Just remember one side of the sheet has a tapered edge, face it down, so the completely flat side of the drywall is facing up.

I also used drywall. Many advantages. :thumb: It's fairly cheap and VERY level, mine does not sag, as I have "joists" under it every 16 inches. It is easy to shape with a knife, sounds pretty good, and if you go with a little bigger/longer nail... it will hold. You could also glue or ballast the track down, as may prefer to do.

Because you are basically landscaping on paper, I found it was an excellent base for mediums like latex paint and stucco.

Drawbacks? Heavy to work with at first, and kinda messy to shape. The layout below is on drywall....

Play ball
abk.jpg

Millie’s house
abj.jpg

Reverse loop
adh.jpg

tHANKS gROTTO

Oops!

I'm adding a new section. This time I'm trying luann as a base. It's going pretty quick, as I thumbtack, then later nail track down. It's pretty easy nailing right to the subflooring material.... Again my joists are on 16' centers. This time they are one by material. still hanging with chains for now, I will add legs before I landscape.

Cheers!!! :D:D:Daussie:D:D:D

Pics in August....

hooknlad

Im sure sheetrock will work as shown, Do you have and subbase, such as any time of framing underneath, like studding 16" on center? just curious.

hooknlad

my bad

Kyle, my bad - I misspoke, by sub base, i actually meant framing of some sort, 16" oc., dr. changed my meds and im in and out of reality. ( which makes my imagination more favorable ) .