First layout from the start

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, I've been a bit hesitant to post any pictures of my progress since I'm kinda just plodding along and not sure of what I'm doing. Thanks to all you out there, I've at least got a fighting chance, but I am open to any criticism that will help me keep from really going astray.:eek:

To start with, I put togeether this bench from a 34" x 80" hollow core door. I recently had knee surgery and I cannot crawl underneith to do my wiring, so I hinged the door so I could get to the wiring while standing. Since I had all that room below I added three drawers for tools and parts and a slide-out shelf for my power packs and control panel. There are sliding doors for storage in the front and open storage in the back. I put casters on the legs (thanks for the idea Charlie) and made them adjustable for unlevel floors. The casters have been a blessing, the adjustable legs, well, they need some more engineering.:rolleyes:

Don

Attachments

• bench123.jpg
    bench123.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 339

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Step 2

I drew my track layout full size and traced it onto the foam and just started cutting and gluing. I found this not to be as scary as I thought since it is very forgiving. Cut to much, hey, no problem, glue back a piece and trim it to fit. I moved a couple of the inclines when I didn't think they would work out where I had them.

Attachments

• stage 1.jpg
    stage 1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 336

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Next step

I did some shaping and plastering to give me a surface to attach my roadbed and used black tape to trace out my track.

Attachments

• stage 3.jpg
    stage 3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 335

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Roadbed at last

This is where I am right now. I've got the roadbed down and am starting to lay track. Based on the advice I got here, I am going to make sure I can run trains before I start to add any details to the terrain. I did a sketch of my layout in CAD so now I can use it for figuring out my wiring and where I want to put things.

I got a long way to go, but I hope what I've done so far is got me heading in the right direction. I am open for comments so please don't try to spare my feelings if you think I'm all screwed up and should take up knitting or some other hobby. :rolleyes:

Don

Attachments

• stage 4.jpg
    stage 4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 349

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I got kicked off the knitting forum...So here I am.:D
Your layout is looking great! 'Course, progress is destined to grind to a halt once you get trains running. It does take many, many hours of testing to ensure the trackwork is okay. Trains have to go 'round, and 'round, and 'round.................

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi EZ, thats one hell of a nice way to have a small railroad, like the idea of draws underneath for storage.

Shamus
waver.gif

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
EZ, a great concept and wonderful bechwork wiring solution. I like the built in storage and hinged top. The track plan looks good with a long run and a couple of switching oportunities. Just one question...
Um... How are you going to lay track in that tunnel?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I was serious when I said I wasn't sure I should post any pics, but then I needed to know if I was doing things right. I just called and canceled my subscrition to Knitting Weekly and when we go to town tomorrow I'm going to return those balls of wool and knitting needles and spend the money on some more train equipment. Thanks for the kind words. How can this not be fun?

Chris,

Did you have arthoscopic surgery? That's what I had, and it's doing better, but it's going to take a lot longer then they said and it may never get back to 100%. I can do most everything but kneel and play soccer. Well, I haven't tried soccer, but I couldn't play it before the surgery anyway:D, but I did try to kneel :eek: . I build my bench upside down on a work table so I didn't have to bend down and the thing that has been giving me fits are the adjustable legs that I can't get to right now.:rolleyes:

I hope your knee heals quickly, it can be a real PITA, especailly when you forget and try to do something you shouldn't.

Don

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
WOW!
"Critisisms"...?! Yeah...Right! :D :cool: :p :D
Verne was right about you, Don...that engineering background is really shining through! (or , in this case, "N-gineering"! :D )
That hinged top is a real stroke of genius! :cool:
And that cabinet work is truly some master craftsmanship!
And you're making some real progress with the track plan, & the scenery base...
Great work Don!
Can't wait to see some more!

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Don thats what I had, glad you could spell it. PITA surgery was right first time.:D

I have had them both done the right one in 1975 that was bloody awful 3 days in a splint and 3 months to get the leg right. I did it ;)
That was rescoped or cleaned last year.healed pretty good.
The left is doing O K I can go up stairs now instead of one step at a time.
Only 50% on the bend as yet , I am not going to kneel down for a while yet.
:D
Starting to get back to the retacking project this week;)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Chris,

You've got more experience at this than I do. Abou the neatest thing to come out of this, if any part of surgery is neat, was to see a picture of the inside of my knee. I could have traded that for less pain though.

It's funny how the doctors talk one way before surgery and another way after. I wish there was a chart with a column:"this is what he said", and a second column: "this is what he really means". :)

D:cool: N

W

Warbonnet-Fan

Super progress, Don!

Originally posted by Charlie
WOW!
"Critisisms"...?! Yeah...Right! :D :cool: :p :D
Verne was right about you, Don...that engineering background is really shining through! (or , in this case, "N-gineering"! :D )
That hinged top is a real stroke of genius! :cool:
And that cabinet work is truly some master craftsmanship!
And you're making some real progress with the track plan, & the scenery base...
Great work Don!
Can't wait to see some more!

Don, great progress! This certainly doesn't look like a first effort to me, the layout has great scenic potential and a neat track plan.

Charlie, can I pick 'em or can I? I could tell Don was a natural model railroader just seeing his posts, and hearing his questions...we've run trains on my layout briefly, and he was asking about advanced things that a beginner wouldn't know about. He's obviously done his homework.

Don and I began corresponding on another forum where a bunch of raving DCC-crazed rails got sidetracked and ignored his questions about DC. I was afraid they were going to turn him off to the hobby (scratch one N-scaler) but I could tell by his tactful responses that he has a deep interest in the hobby. Look forward to seeing more pictures as it progresses, Don!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Geeze guys, I'm starting to blush. I can only say that if I'm doing anything right it's because of others dedicated to MRR and who are more than willing to provide guideance and inspiration. I've found over the years that if you want to look good, you have to get in with a group of people that know what they're doing. I have done just that by landing on The Gauge, and with Verne taking a personal interest in my plight on that "other forum".

I thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and the questions of others here, and to show those great pictures and layouts, 'cause in spite of the results, I really don't know what I'm doing and I can only mimic what I see. :rolleyes:

When I sat down with Verne a few weeks ago, I wanted to know if I could ask a few questions, he said "fire away". He never tired, for over two hours he was a steady stream of answers. He is a storehouse of knowledge, you all are. :D :D :D :D

D:cool: N