First layout ever

mummert

Hi all new to the forums and new to model railroading. This is my idea for my future layout and wanted to get some opinions from some people who have actually built these things. The picture is not the best quality but I think you will get the idea. The layout in N scale. The outer loop on the right hand side of the loop will begin a 3% incline and reach two inches at the bridge. You will have to use your imagination a little the curved lines on the left represent the base of mountains. After the outer loop crosses the tracks the second time it will begin a 3% decent. The bottom area of the layout is going to be a wooded area with hunting/fishing cabins. The building at the top shown at the base of the mountain will probably be a coal mine. The area in the middle at the top probably some kind of lumber company. The area at right will be industry. Not really sure what I will do with the empty area to the right of the train yard. So if any ideas pass them along. Also not quit sure how all my roads will come in. Idea is to bring one dirt road in between mountains to the cabins. Another road under the bridge to the lumber company. The building at the front of the train yard is going to be a passenger station for a steam engine with passenger cars tourist type idea considering rest of layout is generally modern era. I will bring a road in from the front and right of passanger station to make a parking lot. Any ideas about roads to industry and coal mine would be helpful. Each square block equals one foot.

Attachments

• 109_0975_1.JPG
    109_0975_1.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 149

Triplex

How about making the inner loop drop as it heads out of the yard? There isn't really much distance at all on the left, but it's probably still worth considering.

What is the intended function of the two loops?

mummert

The reason I have two loops is simply to have two trains running continuously. I know the outer loop dont really serve any specific function. I just like seeing alot of track and being able to run two seperate trains at the same time on the same layout. I may consider taking out the inner loop on the lower part of the lay and I could still run two seperate trains. :D

mummert

Does this look better? I removed the inner loop on the bottom part of the layout. I think will also work better like this because I dont usually see two sets of rails running together out in the mountains.

Attachments

• 109_0976_1.JPG
    109_0976_1.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 109