First Layout Design...

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by MinnMonkey, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Jayinmd

Jayinmd New Member

Wow, sounds like my long-lost twin! :p

I'm also a condo-dweller, and am working with limited space as well. I'm going to work with UniTrack, and am in the process of designing a staged layout as well; I have envisioned a possible L-shaped layout to take advantage of the space I do have. Working with 6 1/2 feet on one wall, and 8 1/2 feet on the other, I think I can lay down one heck of a set-up over time with 4 feet depth.

As I'm getting into modern N-Scale Japanese trains, I'm going to concentrate on an urban/industrial motif--perhaps in the future I'll do a woodland scene for the steam era--with two lines; a doublel-track commuter line, an industrial line, and above it all, a bullet-train double-line viaduct.

But I just wanted to say that I really like your layout--simple enough for a beginner, yet more advanced that two ovals--and I'll be following your progress.

2. Zman

Zman Member

I think there's enough support for the foam board with the cross beams you have.

I don't think it's necessary to put a wood border around the foam - just paint it an earth color.

I'm looking forward to pics of your layout someday.
  3. MinnMonkey

MinnMonkey Member

I wish I had that kind of space. 74"x32" is the most I can deticate right now. Once I am done or bored with this layout, I will probably start thinking of adding a shelf around at least some of my place.
  4. MinnMonkey

MinnMonkey Member

Thanks for the response! I am hoping to have the bench done early next week so I can start with the real fun. I will deffenitly post pictures as I progress (and asking lots of questions too :)).
  5. Jayinmd

Jayinmd New Member

I'm single with no social life, so I have all the room I need. :cry: ;)
  6. Zman

Zman Member

"I'm single with no social life, so I have all the room I need."

Welcome to the club Jay. I'm waiting for the woman who gets "interested" when she witnesses my modeling skills (sigh).

Crap, I know I'm going to get in trouble for that retort.

Not anymore, I just edited it.
  7. tillsbury

tillsbury Member

Hmmm... got plenty of time, have you Zman? :)
  8. Zman

Zman Member

"Hmmm... got plenty of time, have you Zman?"

Time enough to hijack this good man's thread with my desire for a soap opera, yes.