First Layout Design...

Jayinmd

May 2, 2005
MinnMonkey said:
The entire layout will be done with Kato Unitrack, and due to costs it will probably be done in phases.

Secondly, living in a small condo, I have no power tools. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get/build a good workbench for the layout? I was thinking of buying a folding table that will be about that size, and then putting some foam insulation on top for the base.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Wow, sounds like my long-lost twin! :p

I'm also a condo-dweller, and am working with limited space as well. I'm going to work with UniTrack, and am in the process of designing a staged layout as well; I have envisioned a possible L-shaped layout to take advantage of the space I do have. Working with 6 1/2 feet on one wall, and 8 1/2 feet on the other, I think I can lay down one heck of a set-up over time with 4 feet depth.

As I'm getting into modern N-Scale Japanese trains, I'm going to concentrate on an urban/industrial motif--perhaps in the future I'll do a woodland scene for the steam era--with two lines; a doublel-track commuter line, an industrial line, and above it all, a bullet-train double-line viaduct.

But I just wanted to say that I really like your layout--simple enough for a beginner, yet more advanced that two ovals--and I'll be following your progress.

Cheers,
Jay

MinnMonkey

Apr 11, 2005
Jayinmd said:
I have envisioned a possible L-shaped layout to take advantage of the space I do have. Working with 6 1/2 feet on one wall, and 8 1/2 feet on the other, I think I can lay down one heck of a set-up over time with 4 feet depth.

I wish I had that kind of space. 74"x32" is the most I can deticate right now. Once I am done or bored with this layout, I will probably start thinking of adding a shelf around at least some of my place.

MinnMonkey

Apr 11, 2005
Zman said:
I think there's enough support for the foam board with the cross beams you have.

I don't think it's necessary to put a wood border around the foam - just paint it an earth color.

I'm looking forward to pics of your layout someday.

Thanks for the response! I am hoping to have the bench done early next week so I can start with the real fun. I will deffenitly post pictures as I progress (and asking lots of questions too :)).

Jayinmd

May 2, 2005
MinnMonkey said:
I wish I had that kind of space. 74"x32" is the most I can deticate right now. Once I am done or bored with this layout, I will probably start thinking of adding a shelf around at least some of my place.

I'm single with no social life, so I have all the room I need. :cry: ;)

"I'm single with no social life, so I have all the room I need."

Welcome to the club Jay. I'm waiting for the woman who gets "interested" when she witnesses my modeling skills (sigh).

Crap, I know I'm going to get in trouble for that retort.

Not anymore, I just edited it.