First cardboard sources: your HOME!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by copertura, Mar 16, 2004.

1. copertura

copertura New Member

I've started recently to think about papermodeling and my first idea about collecting cardboard was to recicle the one used at home every day.

Have you never tought about how much cardboard of various thickness we use (and destroy ...) every day?

Pets food, children food, biscuits, .... in few days I was able to collect an incredible quantity of cardboard.

Bye :shock:
  2. Pierre

Pierre New Member

I always use cardboard from around the house. Most of all I use the cardboard on the back of writing blocks. It's usually pretty good quality and has never failed me (yet), but not as thick as 1mm (I don't know what I'll do if I want to make one of Zarkov's models, glue some layers on it I guess. (I spend one block in 2-3 weeks so I'll never run out of stock :)
  3. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

Household leftovers are my primary source of cardboard. I've used everything: cracker boxes, cereal boxes, shirt boxes, etc, etc.

I've built a few of Mr. Zarkov's models, and used shirt boxes (scavenged this last christmas) on all of them, and the fit was perfect.

The only thing I worry about is that most of this commercial packaging isn't intended for long-term survival, and may not last very long.

But my collection isn't permanent anyways, so I don't worry about it. When I need space on the shelf, my son gets a new toy. :) [/quote]
  4. Horus

Horus Member

I use stuff from around the house too. My cat eats a truck load of food each week, and the boxes his food come in are ideal for formers. You have to remember to sand any shiny bist, otherwhise the glue won't stick. Most card models have some tolerance , and besides, pards can be aeasily cut to fit.
  5. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i sometimes use the inner paper from cigarette packs. it is foil and paper and depending on the brand, it is silver or gold. many uses, especially for space and SF.
  6. Boris

Boris Member

Thanks to my girlfriend there are allways some empty cornflakes boxes at my home - so it's not a problem for me . These are made from a very good quality cardboard and its 0.5 mm thick .
  7. copertura

copertura New Member

I have to tell you that when I opened this post, my idea was to let you know my surprise about how much cardboard we normally use (and throw away!) in our normal life.

Thanks to my wife, in few weeks I've been able to collect a huge amount of cardboard of various types (all cardboard that before thinking to build paper model was not used).

There are products (expecially food) with a plastic cover, with inside a box, with inside more plastic covers ....
  8. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi to all :

I'm a new to cardmodeling and I always thought seeing these beatifully crafted models that a "special" type of PAPERS are being used. I've pained myself looking for some, the papers. Now, the fields look greener :D
  9. Jimi

Jimi Member

the leftover cardboard that i usually use are old illustration boards that were used by the peeps in this house for various projects. Im also starting to recycle paper because our family consumes and wastes a fairly large amount of paper. Oh yeah, Tausug Air i was surprised that u are from zamboanga. Gensan is my province. :)
  10. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

The more fragile the contents, or the looser the contents of the box, the thicker they will be. Minute rice, cheezits and saltines all come in boxes that are ~1mm thick. :) If the contents are sensitive/soluable in water, it may be wax coated, which isn't helpful.

Cereal and frozen foods boxes are usually much thinner, since they serve more as advertisement than packaging.

The only downside to these boxes is that one side is glossy, and they are far more prone to coming unstuck if handled before the glue is setup well.
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

cardboard resources

There are a few other sources, one was posted in another forum a ways back, the backing of the soon to be tossed 2004 calenders, another source is the cardboard backing to xray film boxes, this is exactly 1mm white with a flat side and the other side is flatter, holds the sprayon glue well, you can get this from hospital or outpatient places that do xrays, they throw out more cardboard stock in a month than all of us on the forum could use in a year! Just ask them for it, take a small card model show them what you use it for and they will save stacks for you.
  12. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

I have lots of illustration boards from my architectural student days preserve. I could always salvage these then. Thanks for the suggestion, Jimi. We neighbor but then I resettled in Zambaonga being a Joloana (Jolo-Tausug tribe) but grew up in Manila and finsihed my studies there. We have had our residence in Bicutan, Tagig, Maharlika Village.... Presently, I'm in Oman (working for the Ministry of Defence)... Nice meeting you NEIGHBOR...Regards.