First Brass Loco , needs new motor

camelot

Recently got hold of a United Scale Models Brass 2 truck Climax loco , it needs a new motor as the other one died.

The original motor was german made 25mm long x 15mm round and fits in a a reduction sleave of some kind called "Minimotor AGNO' , swiss made.

I am not sure if the reduction sleave if necessary , althought the climax dosn't move fast , i should be able to control it with the power pack.

The Loco is heavy and i would have though that the motor would have to be powerfull to push it.

Has anybody re-motored a brass loco , particulary this one , and can give me an idea of what i should look for in a new motor.I am looking at the Mashima range of motors as they are readily available here.

Any help or coments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The loco is heavy, for tractive effort. The gear reduction permits slow speed operation, while keeping motor current low. I'd recommend trying to find a direct replacement, with gearset. Motor only as a last resort. The Hobby shop where you purchased the loco should be able to help.
Pete

Russ Bellinis

North West Shortline carries can motors and gear sets to repower most brands of locomotives. If you can't find original equipment replacement parts, you might check with them.

shaygetz

Adding to Russ' advice www.nwsl.com not only do they carry a variety of parts and motors, it is highly likely that they can advise you on what motor and or gear combination you can use. They were very helpful to me on a recent conversion, even giving me a detailed step by step tutorial on how to install everything.

CalFlash

camelot said:
The original motor was german made 25mm long x 15mm round and fits in a a reduction sleave of some kind called "Minimotor AGNO' , swiss made.

Any help or coments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Sounds like the German or Swiss corless motors. Try checking with Grandt Line or the Whistle Stop in Pasadena CA.

or check http://www.micromo.com/